Monday, November 12, 2012

LCY Styles: Allison and Zach's Chicago Loft Before and After


So I did something kinda crazy. I took on an interior design client (yes - in addition to everything else I have going on...). After an hour-long in-person consult, a month and a half of e-decorating and waiting for items to arrive, my pal and assistant Caitlin Brown and I ventured to our client's home yesterday morning for the final installation. The homeowners, Allison and Zach, had a lot of great pieces to begin with. We were mostly responsible for the finishing touches. The details that take a space from nice to "I feel like I'm in a show on HGTV!" Client's words. Not mine. But they sure warmed my heart.

Enough words... more pictures.

OVERALL BEFORE & AFTER:
As you can see, most of the furniture stayed the same in this joint living/dining room loft style apartment. We shuffled some of the pieces around a bit.. but you'll really see the difference with the new accent pieces, lamps, plants, couch jewelry (pillows and throws), and the most important part of all: the styling.

WEST WALL BEFORE & AFTER:
Above you see the biggest change in the space. There is a huge wall along the kitchen and dining portion of the large open room. Allison and Zach had a small set of bookshelves styled as a bar, which looked lovely, but the shelves were really too small for the space. Covering the wall with art would have been a huge cost. So we went with a more functional arrangement. There's no real entryway space, so we styled one in this area of the loft. Now there's added light from the table lamp and mirror, as well as storage from the drawers in the parsons console table. Definitely my favorite part of the room. Isn't it lovely?

SECOND ANGLE WEST WALL BEFORE & AFTER:
 
Same wall, different angle.

EAST WALL BEFORE & AFTER:

The other large wall opposite the "entryway" just had a bookshelf on it, centered, split between the living and dining areas. We moved it over to make it a part of the dining section and added in a little chair and floor lamp nook to tie in with the living room. Hanging a sconce and a piece of art to these two spaces, respectively, helped define them further.

BOOKSHELVES BEFORE & AFTER:
We moved the bar over to the bookshelves and style the shelves with items Allison had registered for. Lots and lots of serving pieces! A few personal photos in great frames helped make this more interesting than just an assortment of beautiful bowls and dishware.

LIVING ROOM BEFORE & AFTER:
Rug, coffee table styling, an oversized plant, pillows and throws... we just did our thang.

THE MOCK-UP WE SENT THE CLIENT:


As you can see, a lot of the details and overall rearranging and hanging art came in to play with the styling/installation.

Caitlin and I were so so happy with how the project turned out! And the even better part? So were our clients. : )

I would share all the source details with you... but then I'd have to kill you. If you like what you see, shoot me a note at alaina.lcy@gmail.com for pricing or questions about my design services!

9 comments:

  1. This looks loovely. Where is the candle sconce from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The change is amazing. Styling is key and knowing what pieces to finish off. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking notes! I can do a lot of similar things in my space (on a smaller scale), but love the e-inspiration board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you've started this venture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a transformation. Love the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alaina, you both did such an amazing job! I love all the changes you've made, especially the parsons desk area with the statement mirror. Wonderful styling!

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bah. I love this!! I have been thinking about updating our living room and bedroom for awhile now but just don't have a lot of money to do it. This looks like exactly what I'd like mine to look like! I wish I could have you come to my home and help me get it all set up. Unfortunately, I live far away!

    Do you know where there couch came from? I adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wall color and adding the perfect plant are just two of the elements that made a huge difference, plus your trained eye, of course!!! Beautiful job and the new look for the blog speaks tons!! Bravo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin