Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Old Apartment Tour: Restyled Before and After

I bet you all thought I was done talking about my old apartment. Well, I'm not! Muhahaha...

I mentioned making a few subtle changes around the old place and restyling for the Chicago Home and Garden shoot, and I wanted to share those with you here in a good ol' before and after showcase! Plus, my dear friend Danielle Moss took these photos, so I now officially have the rights to them. So feel free to pin and share away (with proper sourcing credit, of course)!

I was very happy with the way my old home looked in the first place, but it's nice to make changes as your style evolves and your budget allows it. The old coffee table, for example, was a Craigslist purchase that worked just fine. But when I went to the Jayson Home and Garden warehouse sale last year and found my favorite coffee table for a fourth of its usual price, I couldn't pass it up. Switching out art I made on my own for art I purchased was another update. And the dining room got the biggest overhaul with a new rug and table. Some rooms like the kitchen and office didn't change much at all.

Well, enough from me... I'll let the photos show you! Note I've linked to online sources wherever possible.

The Living Room
before and after
CHANGES: new art, coffee table, switched out the throw, pillows, and pouf, and restyled coffee table. Hi my name is Alaina. And I'm addicted to poufs.

SOURCES: couch: Value City Furniture // colorblock throw pillows: Stone Textile // art: Alicia Bock Paris Rooftops // rug: West Elm // pouf: Joss and Main // coffee table: Jayson Home and Garden (warehouse sale purchase) // white chair: Walter E. Smithe // garden stool: West Elm // floor lamp: West Elm // vertical bookshelf: West Elm // curtains: West Elm // ladder: vintage

coffee table before and after
CHANGES: I raided Jayson Home and Garden to create this beautiful new arrangement.
SOURCES: feather tray, pyrite cluster, crystal cluster, plant holder: Jayson Home and Garden // candle sconce: West Elm

The Dining Room
before and after

CHANGES: This room got the biggest face lift thanks in large part to the pink rug from RugsUSA. Every time I Instragram a photo with this rug in it, I get tons of likes and several people asking me for the source. I realize the pink was a daring, less practical move... a decision I discussed at length with my design pro friend, Bailey (Peppermint Bliss). Ultimately, we decided, it's a girl's apartment. Do it. I now have it under my desk at my new place, and love love loooove it. I also switched out the dining table for this shoot since my old Craigslist table was in such horrible horrible shape. And notice I also restyled the bar - added more pink!

SOURCES: dining tableWest Elm // chairs: Craigslist // pink rugRugsUSA // mirrorIkea // bar shelvesIkea // artmy own // wall sconces: West Elm


what you didn't see - sad sad table.
I bought this antique table on Craigslist "refinished" for $70. Well, whoever sold it to me did a horrible job and most of the paint had been chipping off since the time I bought it. I made due by covering it with a tablecloth, but this just wasn't going to cut it for a photo shoot. *Sorry about the sock. My pup Fiona carries them around like a security blanket so they're normally all over the apartment.

another before and after

the buffet before and after

bar before and after
CHANGES: switched out the dark tray for a colorful lucite option, added more color

SOURCES: monogrammed lucite tray: Mattie Luxe // matches: Design Darling // you and me glasses: vintage


THE KITCHEN
SOURCES: table: Ikea // chairs: thrifted // Persian rug: flea market // yellow rug: West Elm

THE OFFICE
before and after
CHANGES: not much - just switched out the rug!

SOURCES: desk and chair: Overstock // yellow pillow: Fabricadabra // chevron rug: RugsUSA // bookshelves: West Elm // lamp: Home Goods // pouf: West Elm // Live What You Love print: Heartfish Press

THE BEDROOM
CHANGES: new bedding and I finally got my cheeky Lust pillow!

SOURCES: striped bedding: West Elm // Euro shams: West Elm // pillow: Jonathan Adler // picture frames above bed: Pottery Barn // lamps: J.C. Penny // nightstand tables: thrifted


Yay for styling! Finally finished!
and... as we all know. I've since moved! Click here to see how my new apartment, which I've affectionately named Belle, is coming along!

16 comments:

  1. Love all of the subtle changes you made-- the biggest of which has to be the table from West Elm, which I think drastically changes the look of that room. Also too funny about your dog and the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been DYING to find a pink feather pillow. I think the one on your couch is Anthro...did it find a new home in your current apartment? If not, I would LOVE to buy it from you (full price)!! Let me know and I will email you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style and how well you've filled your space. It's amazing how much a statement rug can makes such a difference in a room. Gorgeous styling all around, you must be so relieved it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the before and the after. :) that coffee table is amazing! i really want one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your old apartment. It's so beautiful. You really have an eye for interior design. :)
    xo Andrea
    Wonderful and Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the changes. Your attention to details is amazing. It's hard to say which is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such an eye for design! I love the changes! It's nice to shake things up sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your place is gorgeous!! Love all of the soft and feminine touches throughout. Such a relaxing and airy feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your style is right up my alley--I am obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it all, especially obsessed with your re-do of the simple Ikea 2x4 bookshelves with the legs!

    xo
    www.carlyonqueue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. As much as I love your new place, I miss your old apartment a little bit. It always takes me back to the night we launched The Everygirl, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

    So glad we were able to take these photos before the move! Cannot wait for the new home tour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love, love when you post before's and after's!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such a fantastic style, Alaina! I loved your old apartment so so much, and I can't wait to see your new place finished! You are such a huge source of inspiration to me!

    xx Ivana
    Macarons and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your old apartment looks great!

    I love the character you can find in some of the apartments in the city! It reminds me of my old place on Aldine and broadway.....

    I'm glad I found your blog and look forward to checking more of it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I have your kitchen pinned on Pinterest, and I'm so glad to have stumbled across the source! :) Would you mind telling me what paint color you used for the living room and kitchen? Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin