Thursday, June 7, 2012

Dear Erin

photo by Danielle Moss for The Everygirl
The LCY archives are all-too familiar with your name. It's probably popped up here more times than I've mentioned any other blog, brand, or business (with the exception of J.Crew). And I know I've told you this in person, but today is another one of those "Is this real life?" moments, so I want to say again and explain to my readers...  (even though they've probably heard this before)...

Elements of Style was that blog for me. The blog I'd open up every morning as I sat under fluorescence in my grey cubicle with my usual bagel and latte waiting for the work day to begin. I was 22, out of school, didn't have a clue what direction to go in, and was just going through the motions, trying to figure it out, hoping inspiration would strike. Elements of Style introduced me to the world of blogging and got me hooked on this online universe. And you, Erin, are that person. The mentor and inspiration - even though you may not have known it (despite my daily commenting on your site) - who showed me what was possible if you had the talent, drive, work ethic, and sense of humor to give it a go. See I thought I had those things, at least I hoped I did, but I didn't have any connections to get my foot in the door and I've always kind of sucked when it comes to in-person networking. (I've never been a fan of emailing people asking for something after meeting once over cocktails.) But you exemplified what was possible from starting a blog. You built a brand and business in a field you love, and you're one of the main reasons for why I started LCY three years ago. Had I not, who knows where I'd be today. So for that, I thank you.

It's kind of surreal that today - the site I co-founded, The Everygirl - is where you decided to unveil a tour of your office space (and next week - your home!). I know your readers and design aficionados around the globe (myself included!) have been wanting to see inside your studio space and apartment, and Danielle and I are so excited you chose our site to feature it. Not to mention the fact that you opened your doors and those of all four of your studiomates' office spaces to us to share with Everygirl readers. And for that, thank you.


And I'm not sure you remember, but a few months into blogging - this is going back to December 2009 - I decided to do a guest post series around the holidays. Something silly as a means of trying to get some new readers and get to know other bloggers better. I reached out to you on a limb and couldn't believe you wrote back and agreed. I'm pretty certain my mom and sister can tell you the excitement they heard over the phone when I told them you'd be on my blog. I emailed you again when I did a series about "the movie of your life," knowing that like myself, you're a bit of a movie fan and again, you agreed. And when I asked if you'd help spread the word about The Everygirl when we launched back in February, once again, you kindly agreed. The thing is, I am sure you get emails and comments from readers all the time, and I know for a fact how busy you are with your design business, blog, events, meetings, and new business ventures. So while I'm not entirely sure why you've taken the time throughout the years to be supportive and kind and a friend to me - a reader from Chicago - I want to say to you, Thank you. From the bottom of my heart.

-------

And to all of the bloggers, entrepreneurs, designers, businesswomen (and men), who I've met and befriended over the past three years,
Thank you for including me in this wonderful world. This online community where journalism meets personal diaries meets design meets networking. Where we support one another and people are generally nice and supportive instead of competitive and spiteful. The past three years have gone so so fast, and I can't wait to see what the next three have in store.

-------

And to everyone else on this site right now,
Thank you. I wouldn't be doing any of the things I'm doing if it weren't for you signing on to read what I have to write day in and day out - no matter how short, or irrelevant, or rambling, or random it may be... Thank you for being patient during these past few months of intermittent posting and understanding that life is quite overwhelming with a full-time job, freelance work, The Everygirl, LCY, and trying to maintain some semblance of a personal life. Thank you to those who have emailed me saying I've inspired you in one way or another. Those messages mean more to me than you can ever know, and they've become the driving force behind my work and The Everygirl. Thank you to the friends from high school who send the occasional Facebook message saying they're a fan of the sites. It's truly an honor any of you take the time to read and visit LCY and The Everygirl.

-------

So yeah. Sorry for the sap fast this morning. As I said, I'm having one of those "is this real life?" moments that's really got me to think and reflect on how this has all come to pass. And I just wanted to say, well... thanks.

- Alaina

Do you any of you have a blog or mentor you'd like to share or thank today? I'd love to know what or who inspires all of you.

23 comments:

  1. That was a really sweet post! I'm totally enjoying following the success of everygirl and I can't wait to see where it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many bloggers that I adore, but I feel like I am constantly most inspired by you Alaina, Bailey of Peppermint Bliss and Jenny of MFAMB. You're all at different places and have very different styles (visually and in writing ... and probably in business too), but I look up to each of you for what you've accomplished. So, bravo and thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't apologize for the 'sappy' post - it wasn't at all saccharine. Instead it was a beautifully expressed thank you to a blogger who has knowingly or not inspired many women across the country to be brave, be creative and follow our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a sweet and thoughtful post! I have to (bashfully) admit that you are the first blogger I have ever sent "fan mail" to! Keep up the great work!!

    x - E

    www.glittersgold.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to that! {Literal cheers in 5 hours}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alaina I absolutely love your blog! Like I said, it was one of the first blogs I started reading religiously and then I started mine a few months later. I love your flair and your style and I appreciate everything you've done to empower us, all of those every girls who are just trying to be that everygirl. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog today
    nice moments are coming:-D
    cup of coffee and reading yours posts
    weekend is coming!!! i wish relax time;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh alaina you are the sweetest girl! Your appreciation and love for what you do is contagious and i thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet and inspiring post! I love reading your blog and The Everygirl. I am currently that same girl you described yourself, 22. fresh out of school, no clue where I want to go in life, and I do work in a grey cube (ha ha). Reading here makes me so inspired to really find what my true calling is. Thank you so much for sharing your story and allowing others, like me, to learn as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel the same way about both your blog and Erin's EOS blog. I'm new to blogging and am inspired each morning by both of you. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was so beautifully written, alaina. i love that you shared this. not to be super cheesy, but live creating yourself was one of the first blogs i started reading, and you did a lot of the things for me that elements of style did for you.

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved this post, alaina. so sweet, so honest & grateful for your journey. isn't it wonderful to see your journey start to come full circle? i remember when i was at that same place years ago, wondering how i was going to make it and what i would do with my life. i realize now that it truly was about putting one foot in front of the other & following the path. love your blog & what you're doing with the everygirl--i even blogged about it tuesday: http://www.daykarobinsondesignsblog.com/2012/06/favorite-new-blogs.html

    keep up the good work,
    dayka

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a very sweet story you shared! It's been great following your blog and seeing the launch of The Everygirl. Your hard work and dedication are inspiring and help to remind me to keep reaching for my dreams! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. and to you, dear Alaina, thanks for being so inspiring, humble and grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This week has been one of those times in life when people surprise and excite.

    I am in a crap job I hate right now and was kind-of passed over for a promotion. Instead of putting me in my boss's position, I'll be doing her job and mine for the same pay/title.

    It's the kick in the pants I needed to get out of this boring monotonous life I've fallen into after college and start doing what I find rewarding.

    When I first moved to this town, I contacted a powerhouse of a woman who owns her own copywriting/design business who is a fellow alum. She met with me when I first got here, helped set me up with interviews with new businesses (none were a good fit), and even helped perfect my resume and cover letters.

    Yesterday I called her to ask her opinion on if quitting my job and losing the security was a good move at this time and she talked it over with me and then proceeded to tell me her current needs with a project she's working on. While it's not a firm thing yet, it's so amazing to know that someone I barely know is rooting for me so much that she might give me a job.

    The reason why, she told me, is because someone did it for her when she was in my position. I hope I can do the same in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this made me all sorts of sappy and gooey. So amazing. I can very much relate to this feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been inspired by you on LCY & The Everygirl. In fact, the "Use Fancy Words" column inspired my "The Scenic Route" column on my blog the other week. It was ironic when I read this post today. I was just thinking yesterday how cool it would be if I could get up the courage to write in to see if I could be featured as a new 40+ year-old blogger on The Everygirl column featuring inspirational women. Sorry, can't remember the column name off the top of my head...some issues that come when one turns 40 ;-) Anyway, you have been my mentor and such an inspiration, and like any starstruck fan, I will stop now because I'm sure I'm rambling! So just thank you and keep up the wonderful blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know how I am just seeing this post now. But I loved it. Its amazing what can happen through blogging. I am so excited and proud of you for all that you've accomplished!! Congrats lady. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both Danielle and you are so inspiring, I have great admiration for you both, your talent and accomplishments ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great blog! I am happy I discovered it... I will be back :-)

    www.azrakunworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post. It's perfect! I want to say Thank You to You Alaina. I stubbled across your blog one day a year ago when I was just searching through Blogger. I fell in love and read everyone of your posts. I am on the Everygirl every day if not multiple times a day.

    You inspire me to keep moving and pushing forward.
    My blog is off to a rocky start. Mainly because I am not that great of a writer bust secondly because I have no real idea how to reach out to obtain and audience.

    Maybe you could guest post for me one day?

    Thank you for all you do!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was a beautiful post, Alaina, about paying it forward. I've been following your blog for these three years and you and I Suwannee have proven that anything is possible. I'm looking forward to the day when I get to make MY dreams come true...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alaina, that was so beautifully written. Erin's blog too was the very first one I read and that introduced me to the world of blogging. I very much relate to you as I believe we're around the same age (I'm 26, 27 in November) and being 22, sitting in a cubicle, going through the motions, trying to figure out what my next move would be, sounds all too familiar. I haven't commented here a lot but I have been a reader over the years and I've loved seeing all that you've accomplished. You should be very proud :) You've done such a wonderful job with the Every Girl. Even when life is super busy, it's one of my must reads every week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin