Thursday, December 13, 2012

Belle Update: the office (because you've all been so patient)

Hi everyone,
As you all know, it's been a while since I had a real post go up... 'real' meaning something other than relaying content that's over on The Everygirl. First off, thank you so much for your support and patience. I feel so incredibly lucky to have so much love from my readers. As I mentioned, my and my family's health is fine, and I apologize for worrying all of you. That being said, rather large changes have happened in my life lately, and I'm trying my best to adjust.

As such, I am throwing myself into finishing off this apartment. Too many "maybe this" and "maybe that's" have been thrown around, and I'm ready to make this place my own with the official tour debuting on The Everygirl in February. Finishing touches starting with my home office. One night recently when I was feeling particularly down, I grabbed my hammer and a set of nails, turned on Mumford, and went to town rebuilding my inspiring gallery wall in the office. What's been a blank wall since moving in became this in a matter of minutes...


Ahhh (sigh of relief). There she is. Not super impressive, I admit. But it feels like home. Naturally, I needed to concoct a plan to spruce this up.

The plan:
- have my thrift store mid-century chair professionally reupholstered (possibly w/ some tufting?) in this amazing fuschia velvet fabric from FabricMart on Etsy.
- add more art and make it super colorful - remove the darker pieces. I'm thinking of using some of my favorite images from The Everygirl features throughout the past year - particularly these gorgeous shots of Jihan Zencirli (Geronimo Balloons) taken by artist and photographer Kimberly Genevieve.
- clean. that box has been there with miscellaneous office stuff since moving in august
- paint that shit. the wall, that is. but what color...?


Teal? White? Pink?


...no brainer, really. Pink it is. I love love Middleton Pink by Farrow and Ball but might have to find a more affordable alternative.

Also adding this amazing and reasonably priced black and pink rug from Lulu and Georgia. Keeping the pink geometric rug I already have from RugsUSA. This is gonna be good. Real good.


Note that is not actually the desk I work on - hence the birdcage. My desk is near the window to the left in the photo. This is an old, beat-up parsons desk that is acting as more of a console table and storage.

Excuse my horrendous photoshopping. You get the idea.

Miss you all. I'll hopefully be here a little more often now that these last projects are underway...

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pink. Good for you conquering projects, even when you're feeling sad and down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautiful! Normally don't like pink but this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pink looks great. Love seeing your frames pieces hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your wall looks good and I also admire you for picking up a hammer and going for it. When were feeling down, it's much easier to hide under the covers so remember that you're stronger than you think. Keep doing what you're doing and slowly but surely things will get better

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to be beautiful, Alaina! Good luck!

    And you absolutely will prevail through this hardship and come out stronger on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so fun to see some progress! I can't wait to see our L&G rug in your office. Going to be a beauty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it helps to surround yourself with people and things you love and thats just what you did! Looks awesome and I think the pink for sure. Maybe you could color match it to a cheaper brand? I've done that before and it came out great. Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad you are back! love hearing about your life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love the gallery wall! Sometimes throwing yourself into projects is the easiest way to get through the tough stuff. You're a strong woman. You'll come out better on the other side :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I'm stressed or upset or feeling down, NOTHING makes me feel better than diving into my house! (Well, that and some Jeni's ice cream!) Looks beautiful, you are awesome. In fact, I think seeing you be vulnerable and that you have hardships too only makes me like you more. Sometimes The Everygirl makes everything look so PERFECT, almost to the point where I was getting discouraged by reading it every day, but seeing that you are human too was a breath of fresh air. Keep hangig in there, and thanks for being REAL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. can't wait to see the tour! I've been so eager to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great start to the gallery wall! Hope things are getting better. Can't wait to see what the finished apartment looks like!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin