Friday, July 20, 2012

living with a boy.

if you've been following along the past year, you'll know i took full advantage of having a lady roommate and decorated accordingly. i added pink wherever i could (notably a graphic rug - which i am aware still has not been properly revealed, a new bar tray c/o mattie luxe, and i got a few pink throws from the joss and main sale i hosted). but the time has come to hang up my pink fairy wand, and view decorating through a new perspective.

the male perspective.

i've said it once and i'll say it again, i do not understand why boys spend their entire lives not caring about decorating - they'll tape a jim belushi poster to their wall, use the musty couch from their parents' basement, and sleep on a mattress on the floor. but when they move in with a lady, they all of a sudden have a very strong opinion about how things look. i don't get it. but whether it makes sense to me or not, this is what happens. c'est la vie.

so in an effort to make this new place our home and not my home (aka sprinkled with photos of paris (i recently counted - i have eight pieces of parisian-themed art hanging around my apartment), white lacquered furniture, and pink accessories), i've done a bit of recon and came up with some inspiration that i think would make the two of us very happy.

notes and inspiration below:

white walls, wooden furniture, and cool leather furniture. sure... i can do this.

wood layered on wood layered on wood. black and white photography. and oh, what i'd do for wishbone chairs.

navy wall. would love to try this somewhere.

neutral base, natural woods with splashes of colors that aren't overly feminine.

more leather and wood. grey walls. grey will be our safety color. we both love it.

neutral art. cool, industrial lighting. again - more wood.

wooden table, black chairs. alaina like.

black bedding. intruiging... not sure i can do this.

you can view ALL of my inspiration in my new appropriately named pinterest board: living with a boy.

i am also very excited to start working with farrow and ball with paint colors! have you heard of farrow and ball? i learned about them ages ago because my mom's favorite hgtv designer sarah richardson exclusively used their line of paint. and if you've ever seen sarah's work, you know that all of her rooms have this perfect calming serenity about them. calm, muted colors. have any of you used their paint and can recommend colors? here are a few swatches that caught our eyes:


you can view all their colors here. any others you think we should consider?

happy weekend!

23 comments:

  1. I think you have a great attitude on approaching the decorations of your twos new place! Can't wait to see updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you posted this as I was just discussing it last night! Visiting my single female friends apartment I pointed out all the adorable touches of pink and how I can no longer do that.
    But I do think there is always a happy medium and I love the colors you chose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Embrace this change ~ so fun and grown-up! And don't feel like your design aesthetic has to lose all femininity, I think a balance of masculine + feminine is the ying and yang of design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you hit the nail on the head when you described how men, who have had absolutely NOTHING to do with decorating in their lifetime suddenly grown an option about it! LOL. I am going through the same thing with my BF. Oh well, to know them is to love them ;)and in the end I would rather have my man than my pink! Happy cohabitating, K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your inspiration! I also agree about how guys don't care about deocrating and then when you live with it you are inundated with their opinion! For instance, I hated the shower curtain that my husband and I have because it didn't match our bathroom. He let me get the shower curtain that matched the same shade as our accent tile and it was MONTHS before he realized what I meant by saying it "matched."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your inspiration Alaina! I have never lived with a male so don't know how it feels quite yet but I'd say from the looks of it you're on the perfect path to a well designed home for both genders :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me chuckle. My husband used to live with other guys and could care less what his place looked like. Once we got married and moved in together, though, he started having all kinds of opinions. Men are funny. Best of luck with your new move. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely think you should paint something navy! We painted our kitchen navy, and it's my favorite room in our house right now. Plus, it looks good with the rest of the gray in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Farrow and ball paints are beautiful and you can't really colour match anything to them because they are clay based but you have to be really careful that you test them in lots of different lights and places in your room. My mom has used them a bunch of times and they often look very different from what you expect. How fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cornforth white is my absolute favorite. In my apartment I've also used: Blackened, Down Pipe and Lamp Room Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I've been wondering how you'd be handling this. I cannot wait to see how your new place turns out with the added male perspective. I think it'll be great!

    (And I too have wondered what the deal is with men who suddenly, out of nowhere care about their decor when they move in with a lady...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Men are indeed funny. Congrats on moving in together.
    Just don't loose all the feminine touches going gender neutral.
    You gotta have something to offset the clean and simple lines and colors. Balance. Can't wait to see your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the chesterman sofa, I think it's something both sexes can easily agree with! Other than that black, white, blues and greys would be a very nice starting point. Your personal items would easily transform the neutral backdrop and either make it feel more masculine or feminine. Fresh flowers though, I won't compromise:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That navy color in the third picture is absolutely gorgeous! I suppose I would just stick with neutrals and add pops of color in the accessories (frames, lamps, rugs, pillows) so they can be changed out every so often to switch things up. Happy decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I promise it's not so bad living with a boy - but there is a lot of dark wood and leather involved. :) Good luck and happy moving!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I painted our bedroom with a navy wall like the inspiration photo you have! We love it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love hearing about your adventures in decorating with a boy in mind! My boyfriend and I just moved in and we are also having a hard time blending our tastes. literally half the living room is all girly and the other half looks like a setting for a western movie. Thanks for all the tips!

    -Nico

    www.SatinandSalt.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. totally true about men suddenly having decorating opinions.

    (warning: they do the same thing for weddings. he never noticed a single detail at millions of weddings we'd attended, but suddenly had a distinct opinion about the color of the invites and cake...)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Living with my male other half has been super tricky in the decor department. I NEVER decorate since I've moved every six months since college. This is the first time in my life that I've lived in the same place for a long time that wasn't my parents'. I didn't decorate at all. So he did. There are pictures of fish EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually have a the main wall in our bedroom painted navy. It is a very masculine looking bedroom but I have flashes of pink all over like hot pink candle holders, light pink vintage wall art and fresh flowers. Its a great combo of us both.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice post! Thank you for this!
    Saving Thousands of People Hundreds of Dollars a month. Join the club today. Just click -> http://www.saversclub.us

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the color choices- I suggest either the plummet gray or the pitch blue. Both very masculine but both should compliment your current stash of feminine art, accessories and any furniture with vintage bones or clean lines.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin