Thursday, July 26, 2012

when you're invited over for game night, here's where you'll be sitting.


...on our new couch.

yes. it's true. we bought my dream couch. i even called it that two years ago in this post.

an oversized english roll arm sofa (albeit we purchased a more practical and safe-from-stains dark grey in lieu of a custom sunshine yellow version like jenna lyons has).

it's the carlisle upholstered sofa from pottery barn in metal grey twill.

and yes, it is an investment piece. neither of us are bringing a couch to the new place, so this is the one thing we really need. beds, dressers, tables, chairs - all of that is taken care of. now i'll be the first to admit i could have done a little craigslist, thrift store, budget furniture hunting (my specialty), and i could have found something that would have been fine. but that's the thing. i could have spent $300-800 on a more affordable couch that was simply fine. and $300-800 is not a small amount of money. so in my mind, i would much rather put that money toward something i absolutely love versus getting something i would want to replace in a couple years. i don't know how long this couch will last, but i can guarantee i'll wear it down to its last days... and even then, it will be a piece i can reupholster and/or have new back cushions made. this one is it for the long-haul. and i couldn't be more excited. bonus points that mike liked it too! his one requirement was comfort. with oversized down cushions and a 90.5" length, i'd say he got it. (he's super tall and can actually fit on this.) it also helps that it's dark grey (very manly). and i love the low arms offer extra comfort when you're laying on them. standard armrests kill my neck.

i think it's safe to say the carlisle is a win, win, win.

unfortunately, the couch won't arrive until early october. bummer. but i'm too excited so i started having some fun with photoshop, adding in furniture and "painting" the walls.

 here's the half of the living room where the couch will go.

 a lil photoshop magic and poof...!

...a couch appears.

oh - side note - the doors that lead to the sunroom were previously painted white, but whoever did it did a shoddy job. so we've discussed painting them black.

ooo lookin' sharp.

add in my coffee table (i got it for a fifth of the original price at the jayson home and garden warehouse sale this past winter). i win.

 perhaps a natural jute rug underfoot, and here's a version with light grey walls.

 medium grey walls

or dark grey walls.

thoughts? questions? concerns?

see the full "before" tour of belle here!

24 comments:

  1. Your new space is TO. DIE. FOR. I've spent the last few weeks apartment hunting as well, and totally empathized with your last post (seriously, we should talk about how grown ups live, and grown ups who know people are coming to look at their living space, no less). So happy for you that you found such a gorgeous new space! And that you'll fill it with that amazing couch! Congrats all around. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I love the sofa. Great style, great color, just great all around. I think gray is the right direction but I'm not sure which shade. I'm thinking either light or charcoal. Your room is so big and bright any shade would look great. I have always wanted black doors so that will be cute. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sofa. It has taken years for me to convince my bf that you need to spend money on a decent sofa. It wasn't until the cushions his sister's cheap-o sofa were misshapen beyond recognition after only a year or two that he finally got it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous! We have a dark gray couch too, and I love how versatile and stain-hiding it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We painted our french doors that lead into the office and also the doors that lead from the office to outside a high gloss black. They look A-mazing. You def should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the couch! It's the perfect mix of structured yet invitingly comfy. And on a more general note, I've been loving the photos you've been posting of your new home. The space looks like the epitome of "great bones." Congrats! Can't wait to see it once you've decorated :)

    Katharine
    http://justsqueaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE!!!!! And I vote for Medium Grey walls, if we are voting! I love the contrast it provides, yet adds depth at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sitting Pretty! Love the couch and apartment what a beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the couch and couldn't agree with your reasoning any more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Just gorgeous! And love the apartment! So much light!!! :) I reckon Medium grey walls! Dont go the dark, it takes the sunshine away! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. so so jealous of your couch! Good job on going for the investment piece. You both will love it for years to come. Sadly... my boyfriend brought home a 40 dollar couch from salvation army. Its frame is chipped, the cushions are the ugliest white printed fabric. And when I say "white" what I actually mean is just... stain, if thats even a color. He LOVES it. and I wish I was joking.

    -Nico

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh and I vote yes to the medium gray walls! The darker shade blends in with the couch and the lighter shade doesn't pack enough punch

    -Nico

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE. English roll arm chair for me and English roll arm sofa for you. We really are the same person.

    My apartment needs a home. Something very Chicago. How about Lucy after Lucy Eleanor Moderatz in While You Were Sleeping? I think I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE LOVE LOVE (though super bummed that you have to wait so long to get it in your space!)

    I'm also obsessed with the English roll arm look, and I think you made a great choice with the gray fabric.

    I just bought an English roll arm sofa (that I swear to god is a deadringer for Lee Industry's $3000+ version: http://dccl.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/you-have-to-use-your-imagination/) for $120 on CL. I'm getting it reupholstered in navy blue, I think. Still waiting on fabric samples, but so excited!

    So looking forward to watching Belle come together!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2 years ago when we moved into our new house we did the same thing! I love our dream couch. It's the crate and barrel lounge sectional with the chaise. When you think about it the cost per use is fantastic! We sit, lay, sleep on it everyday for at least an hour!

    lifeandstylebylisab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your big purchase and I totally agree with you on spending the extra money. I searched for 6 months before choosing our couch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely light grey walls. Black french doors would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this post!

    www.magshop.us

    ReplyDelete
  19. That couch is beautiful & definitely an investment piece! Can't wait to see your house transform! Also... loving the dark gray :)

    xo,
    Andrea
    www.daintylittlethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. May I cast one more vote for black doors? I super love contrast in decor! That couch rocks, by the way. Were you thinking of adding some color in pillows, accessories -- just for fun? What colors do you like?
    KAY
    RedBird Vintage Home

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel jute rug is just fine. It is much easier to clear. Otherwise you need to go here and there looking for carpet cleaners.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My husband and I almost bought a Pottery Barn couch because I fell in LOVE with one. But we couldn't fit it up our stairs and entry way...sigh. Love the one you picked out, that room is going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the couch and apartment what a beautiful space.Fantastic find.
    Garage Door Repair Wilsonville

    ReplyDelete
  24. great sofa!! make it pop by doing the walls in a different color. branch out from the grey! looking forward to seeing everything.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin