Friday, June 4, 2010

Check out my friend's house.



I am choosing to ignore the fact that many of these photos have made the rounds in the blogosphere. Country Living's feature of the Fire Island home belonging to West Elm creative director, Alex Bates, is far too good to pass up. I loved it. Odds are you'll love it. The home is simple, rustic, beautiful, comfortable, and perfectly beachy all at the same time. Antiques are juxtaposed to modern pieces, and unique finds blend with new, mass-produced items to create what everyone inevitably wants: a home that feels like home. It's something we rarely see in magazines, where rooms often look more like paintings and less like people inhabit them. Bates' house is a place you want to go to relax and get away from it all. A place you'd kick your feet up, play games with friends, and sleep until noon underneath the white cotton sheets. So in case you haven't seen all the photos, let's take the tour, shall we?

I spy the West Elm stump. Further reason why I should own one.

Perfect for sipping coffee and doing the crossword. Or polishing off that pitcher of margaritas with friends a la Midnight Margaritas in Practical Magic. Love that flick.

This vignette is very 'Martha,' no? In a good way.
As all things that reflect Martha are.

Alright, I'll list everything I love about this room for you.
1. Striped pillows
2. Coffee table
4. Three-tiered end table
5. Lantern candle holder
6. Ceiling fan
7. GREY
8. The dash of pink from the wall art
9. I could keep going, but I'd rather you watch the video I linked to in 3.

A modest master bedroom. I like that.

That lamp is my new favorite color!
Are we calling it teal? Turquoise? Sea foam green? Pool?
No one ever weighed in on that last time I asked so here's me throwing that out there again.

Remind your husband/boyfriend/brother this is not the same as hanging their high school baseball team picture complete with plastic frame on the wall.
This. Is. Fabulous.

Chess is cool. And anyone who says otherwise needs to sign up for cool lessons.

Baskets on bikes.
Linen shirts and flip flops.
Ocean on the horizon.
I want to be them.
Some day...
(says the idealistic 24-year-old with stars in her eyes)

*all photos via Country Living magazine*

-------

So you might be wondering about the title of this post... in which I refer to Alex Bates as "my friend."
Well, in case you forgot... we're pretty much bff. At least I like to think we were for the five minutes we chatted at the Chicago West Elm store opening. And when she agreed to take this picture with me despite my grinning like an idiot.


Happy weekend!

And, Alex, if you're reading this, I'm free for the Fourth! I'll bring the margarita mix!

: )

13 comments:

  1. What's not to love? Gives some insight to the success of West Elm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to refer to a deeper almost-peacock blue as turquoise, but that doesn't help name your new favorite color. Regardless, check out this blog - it's one of my favorites as I am also completely obsessed with turquoise, and I think you'll love it! everythingturquoise.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm weak in the knees for white slipcovered sofas...I really love how simple everything is. And when I say simpl,e I mean fantabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture of the two of you! So great. You both look fab.

    I must say that house was one of my favorites as well!

    I will bring the chips and salsa for our 4th of July get together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I always admire people who can live in mostly white interiors and not make a disaster out of them.

    I love Practical Magic, too. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A 'dream house' to say the least!!! I love the freshness and crispness of the decor and colours - especially the white and blue - also really like the kitchen!

    Renata

    http://renata-beautyandelegance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally tell from that photo that you're her bestie!

    I'm calling it turquoise, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love. This. House. Featured it on my blog too--or at least the first room with the gorgeously glossy ceiling. Oh, and let's call is sea green.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beach house reminds me of the one featured in this month's House the and Home. I just discovered this Canadian design mag and love it. I've been depressed since Domino went away and have been reluctant to buy the ones from the UK because you can't buy those products in the States. However most Canadian things you can buy here... yay!
    http://www.houseandhome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are adorable! I think she definitely should invite you for the fourth! Although that would mean missing the Fourth in Chicago/Hinsdale which is pretty much the best thing on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. #1 love that beat up table
    #2 lol practical magic! now i want to go rent it.
    #3 I'd think I'd call that lamp sea foam green
    #4 re- the wood sided room- very pretty, but are those turtle shells hung on the wall? hard to see bc my lap top screen blows. but they are kinda freaking me out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm digging the outdoor chess board! Leaving aside the virtues of the game itself (on which I agree with you entirely, BTW), a finely-crafted chess set is a fantastic design element for your home -- there's something about the a well-placed board that just pulls a room together.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin