Monday, September 27, 2010

RUE in NYC: Oh What A Night, Rue Magazine Launch Party


Exactly one week ago, on Monday night, Crystal, Caitlin, and I hailed a cab in Midtown and ventured to the New York Design Center at 200 Lex for our very own launch party (Anne was coming from downtown). The Rue Magazine launch party, to be more specific. The night was perfect: the weather, the location, the ambience, the guests, the food, the champagne, the fashion... it was a fairy tale dream.

I kept thinking, "Where am I? This isn't my life... I should be at home with Nate and the puppies, wearing sweats and sipping Diet Coke while I blog and sing Dog Days Are Over."

Alas, I was not at home. I was in New York City. Living. It. Up.

Serendipity perfectly defines last week. It just so happened design bloggers from around the world flew into NYC for the Nate Berkus show - many of whom are ladies I've gotten to know over the past year of blogging. And it was such a delight that so many of them were able to make it to the Rue launch party! We got to meet and laugh in person. Wow. What a crazy concept. Of course, this wonderful event would have never happened without the support and generosity of the NYDC PR team! Thank you a million times over, ladies!

Before I show more pics, we must first discuss the outfit.

The dress I ended up wearing was - pause for shock - rented. Yes. I thought what better time to try out Rent the Runway than for my fabulous NYC launch party? And I cannot say better things about the experience! I recommend it ten times over. After much debate, my very helpful and always fashionable stylist picked out this black one-shoulder from Mark & James by Badgley Mischka. I've been wanting to try a one-shoulder dress for quite some time (mainly since seeing how hot Lea Michele always looks on the red carpet), and the That's So Fringe dress fit the bill of a classic look shaken, not stirred.

My clutch was Tory Burch tortoise shell, and my heels were black suede Louboutin's. Needless to say, I felt fancy-pants.

The Rue Crew: Crystal, me, Anne, Caitlin, Will and Bri. Together at last. And looking quite dapper if I do say so myself.

As soon as I saw the talented and glamorous Rue Mag cover models, Ron Woodson and Jaime Rummerfield, I had to steal a photo with them.

So many bloggers, all in one place. Marianne, Camila, Mackenzie, Crystal and me.

I finally got to meet the talented and sweet Emily Clark! She and her friend made it to the party even though they had just landed in NYC (no joke - their luggage was in the hallway).

Rolando Santana - the fashion designer behind the yellow dress that I wore to both my sister's wedding and Nate's sister's wedding this summer (see profile picture). After seeing that I blogged about him several times, he invited me to his fashion show that was last Thursday (it was amazing - pictures to come!), and then he and his PR team all came to the Rue launch! Yay for supportive people in the design world!

Beautiful bloggers again: Camila, Mackenzie, photographer Jamie Beck, me, Emily and Elizabeth, and Marianne

Adrian (Kelley Moore's assistant), Crystal, Kelley Moore (host of the fabulous dinner party), me, Laure Joliet (photographer), and Cassandra (Coco+Kelley) - I literally cannot choose a favorite dress. Sparkles, vibrant colors, J.Crew, and one-shoulder drama. I loves!

A tale of two Amy's: Amy of ABCD Design and Amy of Shelterpop

The beautiful Century Furniture showroom in the New York Design Center where our party was held.

So you may remember me posting here and here about my admiration for designer Emily Henderson, winner of HGTV's Design Star. Well here I am with Emily Henderson! No big deal. Totally normal. Just your average Monday night. We're pretty much besties.

(um... what??? am I dreaming???)

Suffice to say, it was a great night. Better than we could have hoped. Of course, after several hours of standing on our feet and chit-chatting away, we were tired, thirsty, and most importantly: HUNGRY. So we hopped in a cab and headed downtown to a little place I like to call Heaven (also known as Luke's Lobster).

See how happy I am with my lil' lobster sandwich? Yum.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was night two.

21 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the picture of you and the lobster sarnie! Halair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous looking time! Glad the launch was such a success and of course I love the magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab dress. Love the shoulder detail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute post! I felt the same way--like an out of body experience. This girl doesn't get to go to launch parties every day, ya know :) So glad we got to meet. You were even more beautiful, in person! And, I loved that dress. I may have to try that site next time I'm invited to some fabulous New York party :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys look like you had so much fun. Congratulations on a job well done!

    p.s...love the dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw so much fun!! you look gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fabulousness!! I love seeing and reading all about your fun. It's all just too good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dress! You look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ADORE the dress you wore!! I've always wanted to try Rent the Runway..I agree this was the perfect time to try it!

    -Samantha
    http://sincerelysamantha.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh.My.Goodness!!!! This is incredible! Congratulations my dear, you deserve this so much. I cannot wait to hear more about your trip!

    By the way, love the dress, clutch and shoes! Sigh :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic dress... and looks like such a fun night.
    Also the re-design here is amazing and definitely worth you being at the computer since 9 am. Looking very good :) Erica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like an excellent time! Fabulous dress too......KG

    ReplyDelete
  14. you looked stunning! Looks like a fab time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The rental dress is so fabulous. Everyone looks very professional looking and having a fun time. One thing about the color, I'm not sure if anyone else has said, it's hard to read the yellow. Could you change it to a darker gold?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a ball! I'm so bummed I couldn't get in to the city until Tues morning - looks like I missed a LOT.
    Cheers,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Three things: the idea of a rental dress is a fabulous one. And you look wonderful in the dress you picked out.

    Secondly, where do you get your energy? You've just launched a fabulous magazine, done a non-stop NYC promotion and now...

    A redesign of your site!!!
    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous dress! And a big congrats on the magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment is long overdue... but we had the best time meeting you, Alaina! Thank you for helping us feel so welcome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin