Monday, August 27, 2012

Belle: Black and White Bathroom Progress

So my weekend went a little something like this...

Friday
- trip to Home Depot to get new paint
- organize the entire mess of apartment // feeling good

Saturday
- 7am wake-up call for an Everygirl styling shoot
- 1pm returned home with lunch to find sweet boyfriend had painted almost the entire living room while I was gone, but he was running out of paint... (living room photos will post tomorrow!)
- I take to the wood pannelled bathroom (aka the giant sponge that took over a gallon of primer to cover) while he finishes the living room...
- queue second trip to Home Depot to get more paint and then stopped to pick up take-out for dinner
- 10pm we finally finish up, but the bathroom still isn't complete

Sunday
- finally finish moving stuff out of my old apartment (three years, you'll collect a lot of crap)
- grab lunch
- come home, reorganize and clean up the apartment again since everything was moved for painting
- try and finish bathroom painting // made great progress, but there are still some tiny grooves and corners that need to be touched up

So fun, right?

Fortunately, the bathroom is going to be so super kick-butt. Without further ado... I present to you: Bathroom Progress.

INSPIRATION:
Inspiration struck when I met my dear friends Bailey and Pete for lunch at GT Fish and Oyster, a fabulous restaurant downtown. I immediately took note of the paneled walls and decided that black, white, and gold would be perfect for my wood paneled bathroom.

So I began gathering more inspiration on Pinterest and adding it to my "Living with a Boy" board:
we might not have a claw-foot tub, but you get the idea...

PROGRESS:
Painting wood paneling is a real pain in the patoot. Not only is the wood like a sponge - like I said, it took a GALLON of primer and paint to cover this little room.

One full coat of primer - we used Kilz primer from Home Depot.

So. Much. Primer. So tedious...

That took way too long. One more coat to go...

BEFORE and almost-AFTER:
Our sweet, sweet not-so-little bathroom. I'm not going to lie, in the few weeks since we've been here, every time I brushed my teeth, I kind of felt like i was in a little cabin on a quick weekend getaway... but that... charm, shall we call it?, was quickly wearing off and it was time to make a change. At first I dreaded this space, but after everyone's comments and excitement to see what i would do with it, I began to love the challenge of making this room over.

paint colors: Powdered Snow by Behr and leftover Black Jack by Benjamin Moore (from my previous home office)
Here it is after two long days and the painting STILL is not finished... we still need new shower curtains (white with black lining), a rug (this striped Dash and Albert number from Layla Grayce), polished brass towel racks, and some styling (I'm thinking a plant!)... and as you can see in the ceiling, we'll have to get a piece of plywood to cover up the hole where there was once an overhead light. but overall, I'd say MUCH better!

there isn't much bathroom storage, so my expedit shelves that were previously in my dining room found a new home in the bathroom! love how versatile this piece is. speaking of which, did you see my updated dining room in The Everygirl feature on 10 Favorite Ikea Finds?

and we are filling the cubbies with white and black storage containers - the white bins are from ikea, the black wire baskets are from tjmaxx

cabin fever.

it looks gloooorious.

cabin fever take 2.

Helloooo black support beams!

Mike and I are loving it (victory!). I secretly hope you are too!

Thoughts? Accolades? Suggestions and ideas? Any great sources for CHEAP polished brash fixtures?

...and don't forget to come back tomorrow to see the updates in the living room!

View the full before tour of Belle here!

Happy Monday!

For more great bathroom ideas check out Bathrooms 365!

24 comments:

  1. So beautiful!! Amazing what a little (or a lot!) of paint can do, right?? Fabulous job and can't wait to see more of your "Before and After"s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your inspiration photos and what you've done with the bathroom so far! A little paint really does go a long way! It looks totally different! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It. Looks. SO. Much better. I love the black accents and the way you were magically able to make wood panelling look pretty. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have done an amazing job! You're bathroom looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! It's so much fresher and the black beams are such a nice touch.

    I took on painting the '70s wood paneling in my parents' guest suite (it's huge: the entire 3rd floor of their house), and man did I regret that suggestion/offer. It took freakin forever. It looks about a million times better now, but I don't know if I could go through that again. (As I understand it, "fake" wood paneling is waaaaay easier to paint than the real stuff, which I think we both dealt with, by the sound of your primer issues.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet!!! i love the way the paneling (abet a pain in the arse) adds so much character to the space! Can't wait to see more!

    xo-T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous - what a transformation! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! The change is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the inspiration! Looks like you're making great progress -- can't wait to see the finished product. I've been adjusting my decorating to living with a guy, too, it's a process!

    Bethany
    lucky-fifth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Starting to look nice though ! I know what you mean when it comes to tedious ... everything in the renovations of our apartment has been a big faff .. one more room to go and a whole lot of styling !

    Can't wait to be finished lol xxx

    www.christianaholt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic! I wouldn't have thought to paint the beams black but I love it! I love seeing the step-by-step process rather than just one big reveal, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! The white really opens the space up. I love the black beams, great touch.

    MyersMaison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! you did a great job! this looks amazing. xx

    www.glittersgold.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks amazing. Great job - great vision!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello puppy, what is your name? What kind are you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks GREAT, love the white!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowee! It's amazing what a coat of paint can do! Looks great Alaina! Can't wait to see the finished product! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowee! It's amazing what a coat of paint can do! Looks great Alaina! Can't wait to see the finished product! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy amazing! Your landlord is going to want to pay your rent when they see what you've done with the place. They'll definitely be able to charge higher rent to the next renter with how much you improved the place!

    If you find a white shower curtain with black, do share! I've been on the hunt for one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just the paint transformed the place completely, so once you add all the finishing touches is going to look even more gorgeous! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!!! You did so a great job. I can already see the potential. I love the black beams. I would never think of that. I've seen white and black shower curtains at Target if you are looking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great!
    The Martha Stewart line at Home Depot has some brass (or brass-looking, to be more precise) fixtures for their kitchen line. Maybe some of the pieces could be repurposed for the bathroom?
    As far as the hunt for a shower curtain goes, you might want to check out this etsy seller: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ModernFolkShop
    Premier Prints makes affordable home décor weight fabrics. The designs range from ikat to silhouettes of dogs to toile (some patterns are classier than others). Sewing a shower curtain is a really simple project. Or, if you’re not a sewer, it’s something that you could hire out to a drycleaner or seamstress for a reasonable fee. You can purchase the fabric online here:
    http://warehousefabricsinc.com/premier-prints-fabrics.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! It looks amazing! :) Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin