Friday, August 17, 2012

words worth reading, illustrated by photographs of Jay and BK

poignant thoughts on love and marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert as portrayed by the almost ridiculous sweetness that is Sean (Jay-Z) Carter's and his wife Beyonce Knowles Carter's relationship

“To be fully seen by somebody, then, and be loved anyhow—this is a human offering that can border on miraculous.”

“People always fall in love with the most perfect aspects of each other’s personalities. Who wouldn’t? Anybody can love the most wonderful parts of another person. But that’s not the clever trick. The really clever trick is this: Can you accept the flaws? Can you look at your partner’s faults honestly and say, ‘I can work around that. I can make something out of it.’? Because the good stuff is always going to be there, and it’s always going to pretty and sparkly, but the crap underneath can ruin you.”

“Marriage is those two thousand indistinguishable conversations, chatted over two thousand indistuinguishable breakfasts, where intimacy turns like a slow wheel. How do you measure the worth of becoming that familiar to somebody—so utterly well known and so thoroughly ever-present that you become an almost invisible necessity, like air?”

"This is intimacy: the trading of stories in the dark. The act of quiet nighttime talking, illustrates for me more than anything else the curious alchemy of companionship."


all words by Elizabeth Gilbert, Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage
photos via I Am Beyonce

13 comments:

  1. I adore this! I want to have it as a reading at our weddingggg!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing. the words AND the photos. lovelovelove this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's one of my favorite books, i read it twice. you selected great quotes, and paired them with such lovely images...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the book and you took the best quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dynamic between Jay-Z and Beyonce. Their relationship (at least from the outside) seems ideal. They have always been private with their relationship and I think that's a key part of celebrity marriages lasting.

    Great images and great quotes.


    MyersMaison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words. I might have to pick up that book now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. I think I need to pick up that book - but more importantly, how did I NOT know about I Am Beyonce?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These quotes and pictures are so beautiful. I especially love, "Marriage is those two thousand indistinguishable conversations, chatted over two thousand indistinguishable breakfasts, where intimacy turns like a slow wheel." So poetic and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love this post - love Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love & Committed; obsessed with Beyonce's tumblr. Every lady - even single ladies - will find wise words in thos books!

    Shannon
    www.calmanduncollected.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful.
    I've been looking for a new book to read, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin