Monday, September 24, 2012

Something I've never told you.

I am obsessed with Broadway musicals, namely Les Misérables, Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, and Wicked. And here's the real kicker... if I could have any wish granted, it would be to sing Eponine's "On My Own" on stage in front of real people. Ooo didn't know this did you...? Yes, I sing. All the time. Whether it sounds good or not, I do it instinctively - much like breathing. I'll sing sentences instead of speaking them. I'll sing when there's no music playing. In high school I'd insist we listen to the soundtrack to Newsies whenever my friends and I were out and about (they hated this).  I'll sing in the car even at a red light when someone pulls up next to me, sees me belting out "Defying Gravity," and laughs.

Point of all this is... have you seen the First Look at the Les Misérables movie due out at Christmas? I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed. The actors are all singing live and it's going to be amaaaazing. No pre-recordings being lip-synced over for the camera. Just beautiful, heart-felt, organic songs... where you can really hear the words and understand the story.


Watch watch watch.

Anne Hathaway as Fantine
Her voice and acting in the first look video kinda sorta maybe made me tear up. I officially predict right now that she'll get Best Supporting Actress for this one.

 Russell Crowe as Javert and Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean. Sexy men with sexier voices? Signed, sealed, and delivered.

Samantha Barks as Eponine
 There's my girl.

Amanda Seyfried as Cosette and Eddie Redmayne as Marius 
(Meh to her, but if you don't know him, get to! I fell in love with his acting after watching Pillars of the Earth.)


And here's the trailer where you can hear the full version of Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed a Dream." Cannot wait for this soundtrack to come out!

Do you like musicals? What's your favorite one? Are you excited for Les Mis as much as I am?

19 comments:

  1. My sis and I plan on going to see it in theaters Christmas Day =) I've actually never seen/heard Les Mis before, but I KNOW I'm in for a treat...Fun to get to know a little more about your interests!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    I didn't even know this is happening, but wow, it looks incredible. (Anne Hathaway is an incredible woman/actress/singer. Love her.)

    Favorite musicals: My Fair Lady, Les Mis, The Who's Tommy, Wicked, Fame (the stage version), Chicago. I don't know if I've ever seen a musical I didn't love--the energy is incredibly infectious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're dream of being Eponine is mine as well. Thank you for sharing these trailers. I teared up while watching at work and then instantly went to Spotify to find the soundtrack. I will be listening to this for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd LOVE to see this one! I love musicals ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'd LOVE to see this one! I love musicals ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love musicals! I just wish I've been to more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the same way - sing them all. Les Mis is my all time fav, I ice skated to a song from it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so excited for this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot wait to see this movie! I love Anne Hathaway in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I am so excited! Thanks for sharing, I had no idea!!

    My favorite musicals are The King & I, Singing in the Rain, Rent, and The Altar Boyz, to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched that first clip you posted, late last week...and am now even more excited to see the film version. Such an amazing musical...my favorite.

    The casting on this was spot on. Can't wait for December!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am SO excited for this! Anna Hathaway was a great pick as an actress here. Can't wait!
    I saw Spring Awakening recently and it was fabulous -- great music that's definitely sing-along worthy!

    PS -- I was obsessed with Newsies too. "Open the gates and seize the day!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So excited! What a stunning cast, and I love that they are recording everything live.

    I love love love musicals. Wicked, RENT, My Fair Lady, Sound of Music, Phantom of the Opera...those are some of my favourites, but I don't think I've ever met a musical I didn't love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh so excited! I am a musical junkie! I love a mix of the new and the old: The Sound of Music, Wicked, Chicago, Hello Dolly, and West Side Story mark the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. show me a person who claims they can resist belting out "defying gravity" when they're alone and i will show you a liar :)

    very excited for this movie as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i've always loved musicals and that first video has got me even more excited for this movie! can't wait till it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely LOVE musicals too! I saw this trailer and it gave me major goosebumps.
    One of my first memories of musicals is my mom taking me to see "Annie" when I was maybe 4. Throughout my growing up years my parents always got season tickets to our nearby theater. I remember riding with my dad in his car and he would play songs from Phantom, Les Miz, Cats, Miss Saigon, etc., and I ended up doing the same when I got older.
    Oh and of course Miss Saigon is one of the things we are so proud of in my country - as there were so many talented Filipinos (Lea Salonga being one of them of course!) in the original cast in London.
    PS: Defying Gravity is one of my favorites and I play it to cheer myself up! Search Lea Salonga's version on youtube at this "DCT Benefit Concert". (Ok, I'm biased :) )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin