Thursday, August 22, 2013

Ladyplace: Arranging Furniture in the Living Room

So you may remember I originally placed the sofa in front of the windows when I moved in.
But I had to rearrange it because the sofa was blocking where the window AC unit needed to go.

So to this wall it went... which is fine but I wasn't thrilled about.

Next, to brighten the small space, I painted the room Farrow and Ball's Wimborne White.

...then added some oversized brass drapery rods from West Elm. Let me tell you, those were a real pain to hang on these slightly uneven walls. But how worth it!

Here's what the other half of the room was looking like. As you can see, I ran out of paint before finishing... need to get more.

So what I didn't like about this arrangement, while it made sense spatially, was that I was staring at a wall all day. This apartment doesn't get bright until the afternoon, so spending mornings sitting in a dark corner was less than ideal for kicking off the work day. 

Commence rearrangement #2
(and the arrival of my new striped rug!)

Desk goes over by the window.

 TV goes on expedit shelf.

 Bar gets downsized.

 And this big ole' wall remained blank for too long... I had no idea what to do with it, until one day, I did what I do best. Collected all of my art, grabbed a hammer and some nails, and went to town.

Gallery wall details forthcoming...

So what do you think? Which arrangement do you all prefer?

17 comments:

  1. I think it's looking great!

    Also, can we talk about how cute those little fluffies are in every picture?! Just sleeping away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this arrangement! I always keep my desk by the window, natural light definitely helps you work better. And I'm loving the space from what I've seen here and on instagram.

    I have to know! Where is that couch from?? So chic and looks super comfy..hard to find something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last arragement did an enormous difference. The room looks bigger, more open!!
    Great job!
    You inspired me to go home and give a new arrangement to my furniture!!
    Greetings from a portuguese reader!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that most of your photos have sleeping pups in them :)

    Apartment looks great! Where is your mint green lamp from?

    Alyssa
    http://ruffleandcurl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This arrangement makes much more sense I think! Love it!

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your latest arrangement. No point in having a non-functional furniture arrangement, however pretty. :)

    I'm in the process of moving myself, so I will be playing around with furniture for the next while as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm enjoying your apartment posts immensly!! I definitely love that you placed the computer infront of the window. The room instantly gets brighter.
    xo Andrea
    Wonderful and Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely Alaina! I love the new arrangement. I think it's definitely a better use of the small space and the bright light :) And I just finished my gallery wall..inspired by you and Danielle. I think I may add a few more small pieces here and there but overall I'm really happy with how it turned out! I'm excited to see how yours will turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, congratulations on being on The Forbes list. It's well deserved!! The new arrangement looks great. I agree, working facing sunlight is far more motivating. The only suggestion moving forward would be to edit down some of your decorative object. They're all gorgeous but it looks like you have less space for display

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these apartment posts. I"m struggling with furniture placement in a new house and you give me great ideas. Sofa in front of the window seems to fit best. Fall is almost here and you'll be losing the window unit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the latest arrangement. I just convinced trevor to rearrange the living room so the TV isnt on the wall staring at you when you first walk in - makes everything feel so much brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love all of them but the last one does make the most sense! i rearrange my place all the time! it's so fun! i can't wait to see the gallery wall. i am working on mine since i just rearranged my room and now the tv blocks some of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like seeing the PROCESS- I just moved into a new condo and am trying to remind myself that the right layout takes some time.

    Also, do you have any plans for the kitchen floor? Maybe a painted oilcloth rug or temporary flooring tiles?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like both arrangements but from a practicality standpoint, you do want to have an air conditioner, so the second option is the route I would take. I follow you on Instagram and I think that the new coffee table really opened the space up. Everything looks amazing in your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good read. Having a small space doesn't seem to mean that it is easy to design. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin