Monday, August 26, 2013

six years later...

i'm finally going back.

i was very lucky to visit rome when i was nineteen, accompanying my nana on a trip she had planned with a travel tour bussing around italy, stopping in different cities. rome was the last leg of the 19-day journey, we were only there a day and a half, and we were both exhausted so i didn't explore it like it deserved. i believe trevi fountain, the vatican (not the sistine chapel), and a bus ride past the colosseum sums up my roman experience. pathetic. fortunately, i tossed a coin in the trevi fountain with hopes of returning. then in college, i studied abroad my junior year, living in london for five months and traveling to paris for a long weekend. two and a half days on a college-student budget is no way to see the city of lights, let me tell you; alas i left mesmerized, and not a single day has passed that i haven't day-dreamt of when i'd go back. true story. not a day. ask anyone who knows me.

well, i am beyond elated to say that in october, danielle and i are embarking on an 11-day adventure to london, paris, and rome–a dream we've talked about since we first started working together. and the best part is we'll be traveling with a group of 20- and 30-somethings via contiki tours, so we'll hopefully get to know some great people and meet up with bloggers and people we've worked with along the way!

any and all suggestions - particularly on great, beautiful restaurants and cafes, and shops! - are welcome!

14 comments:

  1. For Rome-- I recommend getting the Roma Pass (unlimited rides on their trains). It allows you to skip the lines at 2 sites. Also, get your tickets to the Vatican Museum (for the Sistene Chapel) ahead of time and you can skip the line which is often around the block. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO exciting! I'm going to Italy on my honeymoon in October so I'll be checking back in to see the recs you get!

    Kirby
    http://www.theshortandthesweetofit.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww so exciting! Sounds like an amazing trip!! I've been to all three of these places and I've loved every single one!!
    Travelling with a group like this definitely sounds fun!! I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)
    xo Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful! I am jealous. Can't wait to see your pictures. You are going to have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Alaina I am so jealous. We were just in Paris in October and I can definitely recommend Le Petit Prince for dinner. It's a throwback to the 1920s for sure and delicious food. There was a guy dressed in drag singing old Parisian classics, seriously awesome! Les Refuges Des Fondues is also a really fun place in Montmarte. It's small, cramped and crazy...but it's such a fun experience you guys would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sooo exciting!!! i am so jealous. you girls deserve a great trip! i hope you have a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an exciting trip of a lifetime! You girls will have an amazing time(and deserve it!) Cant wait to see pictures and hear more about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very exciting trip!

    @Rome - make the trek down to Trastevere - a little town outside of the centro storico. You will find a lot of cute little shops and the restaurants around the area are 10x better than the ones you will find around the tourist areas. I recommend trying La Scaletta (the Pasta Amatriciana and the Oxtail soup (Coda di manzo) is amazing!). Also the Jewish Ghetto is a great area to walk around in -- very quaint + the ruins make the trip worthwhile.

    @Paris - the left bank of River Seine is always a hit for me. If you go at the right time, you'll see street vendors lined up selling all kinds of goodies -- from old school postcards to Eiffel Tower figurines. Also make a trip down to the biggest flea market -- Les Puces de Saint-Ouen -- it's flea markets within a flea market -- it's that huge.

    @London - Saville Row is always amazing. You'll see tailors working from the basement -- very fancy and interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be spending 3 weeks in France in October. Maybe I'll see you guys there! I can't wait to read about your adventures when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I can't even begin to describe my level of jealousy! I just studied abroad in London this past spring and it is my absolute favorite place on this planet. Go to Bluebird in Chelsea for lunch if you're looking to indulge, it's wonderful and right on King's Road!

    ReplyDelete
  11. how amazing! My husband and I are planning a similiar European adventure! Traveling is the best.

    -Alecia with www.likesof.us

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just got back from Rome about a week ago and am already planning my next trip. For food, I recommend Restaurant Cleto of of the Via near the Colosseum and Ancient Rome. Their seven sins pasta is to die for. The best gelato I had while in Rome came from San Crispino near the Trevi Fountain. They make all their gelato from scratch and only have flavors that can be made with ingredients that are in season. We went back several times during our trip because we couldn't stop thinking about how good it was. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That'll be an AMAZING trip for both of you! I'm actually a travel agent and I know we provide Contiki tours to our clients and they really enjoy them! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh my birth city London, it's a fabulous city full of character.

    Although tea at the Ritz in London is the cliche, for you fashion forward ladies, you must do Pret-a-Portea at The Berkeley - the pics on their website are too adorbs - http://www.the-berkeley.co.uk/fashion-afternoon-tea/

    Have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin