Tuesday, July 6, 2010

DIY Nailhead Bulletin Board


I mentioned last Friday that I had a guest blog post over on La Dolce Vita yesterday, but I'm assuming many of you were getting your tan on or grilling hot dogs with your loved ones and didn't get to your computer. To that I say, "Bravo." Now that things are back to normal and you have some time to kill, I encourage you to check it out. It's the transformation of my home office from January to now, and it features one of my favorite DIY projects: the makeover of my ho-hum, oversized bulletin board. I didn't include the step-by-step process of how I transformed the cork board, so I thought I'd share it with you here.

I should preface this by saying I used the tutorial on Bryn Alexandra's blog but tweaked it a bit as I went.

Materials:
1 oversized cork board
1.5 yards of duct cloth
6 packs of upholstery nailhead pins
1 can of spray adhesive for fabric
approx. 10-20 mini nails

Per Bryn Alexandra's recommendation, I ironed and ironed and ironed the duct cloth that I purchased at JoAnn Fabrics for $7.99/yard.

The only other materials I had to buy, in addition to the duct cloth and the bulletin board which I already owned, were upholstery nailhead pins and spray adhesive. Both can be found at your local craft store for dirt cheap. The nailhead pins I bought were $1.49 for a pack of 20 or so. I think I needed about 6 packs. I think.

I sprayed the adhesive all over the board, excluding the frame, and laid the fabric on it and flattened it as best I could. There are a few wrinkles, but nothing I'm losing sleep over. Two items of note: 1. use gloves because the adhesive soaked through the fabric as I flattened it and got all over my hands. Not fun. And 2. SPRAY OUTDOORS. The stuff stinks and is super hazardous to your health. Safety first, folks.

Next I began inserting the nailhead pins along the edge of the cork. This was super easy and I didn't need a hammer or anything. I guestimated the spacing as I went along. I think the space between nailheads was a little more than the width of my forefinger.

Attaching the edges of the fabric to the back was the biggest pain in the patoot. I glued it to the back, but ultimately, it wasn't sticking so I used really tiny nails and just pinned it around in places. A staple gun also would have worked.

I'm loving it and almost didn't want to cover it up! Alas, that wouldn't have been a very inspiring inspiration board.

So I grabbed some of my favorite inspiration pieces and hung them back up. Notice a grey trend?

As I mentioned on Paloma's blog, it's a bit crowded in the corner with the shelves, book case and desk, but it's a tiny space and it really doesn't bother me. It's pretty and that makes me happy!

Close-up!

**NOTE: Many of the comments on this post are not showing up! They come to my email but are not posting. Any thoughts?!? : (

33 comments:

  1. I loved reading your post on La Dolce Vida yesterday. Thanks for sharing your design process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I love this idea. It looks so much prettier than if the cork was on display. I might have to try this -- I'm desperate for a pin board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling little office! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohh Alaina i LOVE it!
    If i had a single spot for one in my apartment id be going out to the hardware store now to get the materials (its 11:30pm here in sydney!)
    Love tge look of the fabric & the nail head pins - great idea. I might even have to repost this step by step & direct my girlfreinds your way for a lesson!
    sal x
    oh oh & p.s super excited for you & RUE!
    www.oncedailychic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unbelievable!!! I'm completely obsessed and can't wait to try this myself! If only I weren't out of town for another month :(
    Thanks for all of the inspiration!! This project has just taken front row on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea! I'm staring at my ugly old cork board at work feeling as if a little project is coming its way.

    I haven't worked with duct cloth before. Do push pins leave noticeable holes in the fabric?

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is quite the cute and quick project. It's one of those small things that makes a huge difference.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You crafty little thing, I will definitely be doing this for my wee little oficina space!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your board looks amazing. The gold pins around the edge give it a really finished upscale look. ANd I love the grey in your place. I recently painted my living room, dinning room and halls in Benjamin Moore-Marilyn's Dress. It's a soft gray and I have to say that your place factored into my inspiration. I like the unity of one colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea. The finished product looks so classy and sleek.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having the same issue with comments! Glad to hear that it's not just my blog!

    I did head on over to La Dolce Vita yesterday, but glad to have the added pics and details here. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! Love your whoel office look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea! You did wonderful job and inspired me to attempt one on my own....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! I did the exact same thing with my bulletin board and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to spruce up a boring bulletin board! It looks great! I also love the dark accent wall.

    ReplyDelete
  16. so classy I loves it! Its a great compliment to the black wall.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this idea! it looks fabulous and easy--two of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  18. love love love love LOVE this! And it looks perfect in your office!

    Fantastic job, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excited to be a new reader to your blog, it is such a gem! Your inspiration board and office are so, so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alaina I LOVE this!! Am def making this for my office!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful board. So classic. Thanks for the inspiration! I might have to make one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the bulletin board. This is going to be my weekend project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just read your post on Paloma's blog and commented...but I also want to comment here...because this post and your hard work so deserves it! The board and everything else looks GREAT. You really transformed that little room! I will definitely be coming back to visit your blog :) I am officially a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for posting! We need this despearately in our den/office space!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the inspiration...I am so doing this for my daughter's room...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. okay, definitely 'borrowing' that idea. genius, the nailhead trim is gorgeous. I promise to give you the credit:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the idea. I came across it last week and went ahead with editing my own cork board. I instead used a picture frame because I only had cork 'sheets'. It looks great. Thanks for the tutorial, I'm in love with the final product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE this idea. Thanks for posting it. It's a great way to display your treasured notes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing. This is such a great way to spruce up an old boring board!

    ReplyDelete
  30. GREAT Tutorial! Love the while! :) You should totally enter this project into Craftbaby's DIY a Corkboard Challenge! :) http://www.craftbaby.com/contests/20/diy-a-cork-board

    xx
    Candie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin