Thursday, July 29, 2010

Holy Whoa Before and After take 2


While perusing a secret goodie of mine, Chicago Home and Garden magazine, my face lit up when I saw the photo above. I would move into that kitchen in a heart beat. The rich color palette comprised of the dark wood floors and moldings with the soft grey walls and black accents strewn about. This is another perfect example of neutral done right.


And it exudes an eclectic feel with the blending of contemporary and rustic furniture, but overall, it maintains a rather traditional look.


My least favorite part of the kitchen is the black grout on white subway tile. I just don't get it. I think it makes the tile look dirty and gritty. But that aside! How fantastic is that island? And the farmhouse sink? And the rounded pendants? And the sconces over the windows? And the glassware displayed in the far right cabinet? And is that an espresso machine I spy? Ok - I have to stop somewhere or I'd keep going and going...


What really makes it that much better is when you see what this space originally looked like. Crazy, right?

Have a great weekend everyone! I will be entertaining my long lost college friend who has been in China for two years (and is leaving for Turkmenistan as part of the Peace Corp in a month. Yeah, it's a real country. I didn't know that either.)

12 comments:

  1. I love the gold color INSIDE the white lamps hanging over the table- I love it when there is a splash of color inside lampshades-

    I love the kitchen too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you about the gray grout. It makes the wall too busy. Love the farmhouse table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gray grout CHEAPENS and brings out the gray in the marble!! Marble is more expensive the whiter it is so why on earth would you want to bring out the gray tones?

    I also am not sure how often these people really cook, unless you seal your marble 2x a year like my grandmother, it stains too easily.

    It's still so much more improved than the previous kitchen and much better flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those first images. I am not a fan of gray grout because I think it looks dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great kitchen, and I'm with you on the grey grout. Why? I also love that table. I've been looking for something similar (smaller and round) for our breakfast room and haven't found it yet. I like it because you don't have to be careful with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a crazy before and after! Love that island and the harvest table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a very amazing space. I like the dining table and chairs and just the general mix. As for grout - I try to avoid it wherever possible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible makeover! I've never seen lighting done quite like that. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That island is amaaaazing! We're definitely planning on having something similar in our future home. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. chicago home and garden is my favoriteee. love seeing local places!

    www.thingsthatsparkleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dark grout is paramount for the hard look that's going on here. There is severe black/white contrast in effect to achieve the look going on here... it has a 1930's diner look that I LOVE... white subway tile on white grout over that large of a space would look like a low grade hospital... PROPS to the designer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin