Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Belle: The Living Room Rug Debacle

Behold, the transformation of my living room. I am aware trying three different rugs in the matter of a few months is ridiculous and I don't advise anyone do this. But I'm not crazy. I had my reasons. The good news is I love the way this room has come together. And it's nearly finished...

Above you can see the apartment before moving in. A whole lot of beige going on.

You may recall the beige plague was remedied rather quickly. The room transformed with Behr's Classic Silver.

With furniture and art. It's better... I suppose. When I moved in the summer, I brought my living room rug with me, an 8x10 graphic Moroccan flatweave from West Elm that is no longer in stores (see similar style here). I love this rug, but it was just too dark given the sofa and wall colors.

So I perused West Elm for other options and decided on this light, bright, ultra cozy Fair Isle style. Only silly me assumed my brown rug was a 9x12, so that's what I ordered, only to realize my brown rug was in fact an 8x10 and this new fair isle rug was ginormous. Fortunately, so is the room, so I was going to make it work. And I loved how it brightened the room. Tucker agreed.

Then long story short, things kind of went awry, I thought I was going to have to move, and I came to the realization that the ginormous 9x12 fair isle rug would never fit into any other apartment, so I returned it. Only to realize I would not be moving... cool. Doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't be here forever and as I said, the rug was so big it wouldn't fit anywhere else. So I looked to my other favorite rug source, the online retailer RugsUSA. I was debating between a few graphic options, but ultimately decided on this twist of a chevron pattern. I kept my colorblock Stone Textile pillows, added in a fun spotted pillow from Furbish, switched out the art for my simple European prints, and added in a crazy pouf that has a sort of southwestern vibe from Lulu and Georgia... things are finally coming along! Totally neutral but still feminine thanks to the mirrored sconces.

So we have a winner.

SOURCES:
sofa // colorblock pillows // spotted pillow // coffee table // rug // lamp // graphic pouf // art // tray
 // mirrored sconces, candle hurricane, and jute pouf were West Elm but are no longer available

And so you know you'll eventually see my full home tour, complete with sources and beautiful photography, on The Everygirl. Probably in late February! Get excited.

25 comments:

  1. Each one is great, but I agree the last one reigns supreme. How fun to see the evolution of a room. It makes me feel so much better considering I always expect most people get things right without any tweaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - it's crazy how much the feeling of the room changes with each rug. But the last one is CLEARLY the best when you look at all three photos in succession. Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great winner, as always your home(s) are a great source of inspiration to me! FOR REAL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rug(s)! The final product looks great! I really like the Big Ben and Eiffel Tower art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! that last one definitely looks great in your living room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The room looks fabulous! Just when I thought it looked great, I would look at the next picture and think that looks great too. What a stylish home! I can't wait to see the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you ever going to tell us what actually happened?

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the last choice. Bonus is that is also transportable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love our pouf in there and the rug choice...perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you feel comfortable enough in the future to share the story with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the progression of the rugs and seeing how each one made the space feel so different. I would have picked the final one too as it totally compliments your room/style so well. The proportions are now perfect also.

    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading through the progress of your living room design :)

    Can't wait for the home tour :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the last one, it just feels right and ties all the colours together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the last one! Sometimes you need to go through all that crap and hassel to come out with something great. I hope you're enjoying your new space and feeling at home and like it's all yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yessss - the third look is blowing my mind - love it!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you made the right decision, the rug looks so gorgeous, and brings it all together so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great choice. I love the bold design. And puppy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent choice! I liked the west elm one as well but this one has a little more character I think. I am completely confuzzled on my rug situation as well, moving into a new house with lots o rugs needed. This helps me see there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the last rug! I have yet to order a rug from RugsUSA, but I know it is only a matter of time. They have such great patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love all of them! i really want the fair isle rug for my room, it just looks so cozy! there is a stripe rug on rugs usa that i plan on getting for my future living room. how do you like your pottery barn sofa? i have been looking at it online and would love your opinion.

    ps your dog makes my day! so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The New Rug is SO legit. Looks so great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that last rug. I was on the Rugs USA site over the holidays and that one jumped out at me. But I was wary of buying a rug online, not sure how it would look in person. Then I came across your instagram photo with your new rug - and then this photo-now I wish I had snapped it up when it was on sale. I guess I'll wait for the next sale!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ABSOLUTELY the right rug! I would never have thought it would look so good based on the RugsUSA pic. Seriously transformed the room!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin