Wednesday, January 23, 2013

words worth reading: sabrina, 1954


"Paris isn't for changing planes, it's for changing your outlook. For throwing open the windows and letting in la vie en rose."

"I have learnt how to live... How to be In the world and Of the world, and not just to stand aside and watch. And I will never, never again run away from life. Or from love, either..."

"Oh never resist an impulse, Sabrina. Especially if it's terrible."

I was flipping through Netflix over the weekend determined to watch something new and not rely on one of my favorites. I stumbled upon Sabrina, the original 1954 Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart version and decided to give it a whirl. I've never been a huge fan of black and white, old films–to be honest Breakfast at Tiffany's, Casablanca, and Citizen Kane all were a bit over my head...–but i thoroughly enjoyed Sabrina. Probably because of the love triangle. Who doesn't love a good love triangle? And all the references to Paris! And the fact that Paris transformed Sabrina from an innocent, naive, ignorant girl into a stylish, headstrong woman, as it tends to do... I definitely recommend giving this one a try if you've never seen it. The opening scene where she tries to kill herself because a certain man doesn't notice her was dramatic to say the least, but I promise it gets better after that. Bogart has quite a few funny lines. I chuckled.

Have you seen Sabrina? Do you like old films? What are your favorites?

20 comments:

  1. I love absolutely love Sabrina! Great choice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that film! I want to watch it again now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been craving an old film night! Thanks for the suggestion!
    - Time Stand Still

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great one! My top two favorite Audrey movies though are Roman Holiday, and How to Steal a Million (it was just on tv last night and I believe it's on Netflix :) - definitely watch that one if you can, and bonus it's in color!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been wanting to see an old "classic' and you had me with "Paris'. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do actually really like old movies, my favorite is My Fair Lady, when Eliza starts singing I Could Have Danced All Night, I can't stop smiling! It always reminds me of falling in love for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sabrina is one of my favourite AH movies!! I love black and white films... they're so innocent and classic... :) le sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charade! It's funny and quirky and Audrey Hepburn has the best clothes in the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've love Breakfast at Tiffany's and Casablanca, but I've never seen Sabrina. Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a good movie.

    - Suzy Speaks

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you liked Sabrina, you should check out Roman Holiday too. That was her first starring role, she was sooo young and innocent and the movie is just full of whimsy. Not to mention seeing Rome in the 50's is pretty magical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love old films! I think the first old film I ever saw was Roman Holiday - with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck. You should see it! A nice movie for curling up on the couch in this freezing weather...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any movie with Audrey Hepburn...WOW...another of my absolute favs is AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER...what a movie, even my 12 year old got goosebumps watching it....ooohhh Doris Day, wonderful also!!! Sabrina, my daughter prefers the 'new' version with Julia Ormond and Harrison Ford, I LOVE the original Sabrina... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great quote. Love Paris and it's so true.

    xo
    www.carlyonqueue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love old films! My favorites are Breakfast at Tiffany's, Some Like It Hot, and Rebel Without a Cause.

    http://allthatglitters.co.nr

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great choice! Give the Sabrina remake a try too! Harrison Ford is really the only actor who could possibly match Bogart's dreaminess.
    I also adore Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra in High Society, and for an extra dose of Audrey + Paris + great clothes, How to Steal a Million

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen Sabrina - but now I have to! The last good old film I watched was Roman Holiday- loved it!

    Alyssa
    www.ruffleandcurl.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know everyone digs the Audrey version..... But I have a confession. My all time favorite movie is the 90s version of Sabrina with Julia Ormond, Greg Kinnear, and Harrison Ford! If you ever find yourself wanting to watch an old favorite but also craving something new... try that version out! (There's no ridiculous suicide scene either)

    -Nico

    www.SatinAndSalt.com

    PS: Sabrina goes to Paris to study fashion instead of the culinary arts in this version too.... so, you know, the clothes are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Huge fan of classic films and Audrey Hepburn! My favorite is Funny Face!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a beautiful and classic photo! I'd love to wear a dress like that and out my hair up! Stunning and so polished.

    -lena

    http://style-palate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin