Monday, January 14, 2013

i know it's gonna be alright

as we all know, the past month and a half has been, well, let's just say "down" for lack of a better word. and even in the new year, i haven't been feeling great health-wise. completely worn out, i feel like my body has been fighting something since the ball dropped at midnight two weeks ago. i'm blaming it on all the cookies and wine consumed over the holidays combined with a good dose of stress. i've been trying day after day to get back into my kick-butt workaholic life-is-short-so-enjoy-it routine and mentality, but so far, no dice.

and then last tuesday, this tweet went up:


Spotted: in the pages of Vanity Fair as I wait for my flight at LGA! So cool

the message popped up in my inbox and i'm pretty sure the next two minutes were spent expelling a high-pitched scream so loud and excited dogs in michigan heard me. then i picked up my phone, dialed danielle, and continued making that noise until i managed to get the words out: "we're. in. vanity. fair! in the actual magazine in print! PRINT!"


true story. funny thing is i had this magazine in my hands earlier in the day while at the dentist, but i skipped right over this to cut ahead to the article on lena dunham.

but i digress. for those of you who don't know. i graduated with a magazine journalism degree from syracuse, and my goal in life since the age of 16 was to work at vanity fair. it's the end-all, be-all magazine in my eyes, covering everything from business and politics to fashion and celebrity. led by longtime editor-in-chief graydon carter, they do it all, and they do it all well. between this and forbes, i'm reminded of what a crazy great year we've had. it gave me the refocus i've been needing to push myself, continue working on the everygirl - a job i love that i created for myself (ahem blog name shout-out ahem), and remind myself that i'm one part of something really special. and i'm really really lucky for all that. no, this bit of press wasn't a magic cure to feeling down, and yes, i've felt still felt a little blue and a lot exhausted since last tuesday (a redeye back from san francisco this weekend didn't help-never again.), but that is our brand and our names in my favorite magazine. and despite the hardships that i've faced the past six weeks, i have to keep telling myself, that's life. sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. and in the words of miss ellie goulding,

"anything could happen
i know it's gonna be alright."


go ahead. raise the volume, dance a lil', and feel good.

p.s. i found that song from the season 2 trailer of girls, my new favorite comedy, which i wrote about today no the everygirl. check it out!

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's so exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so proud of yall! keep your chin high and eyes fixed forward...you're doing a fantastic job! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beyond cool! Congratulations! Sounds like you need a little "slow down" and rest time to yourself so that you can recharge. Easier said than done, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you guys! Such an accomplishment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! You're doing some amazing work at the Everygirl and I enjoy browsing through the site each morning. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! That is such an amazing feat! You rock :)
    - Time Stand Still

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally needed a reminder to listen to this song today. Keep reminding yourself you're enough and you're doing enough. You have proof of the beauty of things falling into place. What do they say? Good things fall apart so better things can fall together? I'd say you have your shit together :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Vanity Fair?! That's amazing! Congrats!

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  9. All worth it in the end! I'm so excited bc The Everygirl is one of my favorite reads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is amazing! Congrats on this amazing news! But I wonder, when magazines publish these kinds of features, are they able to publish without notifying those mentioned for things like this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awesome! Congrats. I love The Everygirl and you both deserve it. I can't wait to see how the everygirl will evolve in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whaaaat?!!! This is freaking amazing, Alaina. You are on it, girlfriend. Now I'm going to go fetch my copy of VF and check it out. I've been trying to get through this issue all weekend and clearly i did not even make it to page 44! WOohoo I am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lift! Things like that happen when we least expest it, and we need it the most.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats, Alaina!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats! i'm honestly surprised you guys haven't been in vanity fair earlier. you and danielle are pretty much the best thing since s'mores. and i love s'mores. the everygirl is my homepage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Saw that in my edition of VF this month and was thrilled for y'all. I love your blog! It seems this year is starting out tough for lots of friends I know, but as you said, that's life and it does get better. Fun songs like that one help!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats!! I am a huge VF fan as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! That is such awesome news. I can only imagine what that felt like. And feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!! Well deserved. I hope this is the thing that will get you out of your funk <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so AWESOME! Congratulations!!! That recently happened to me when someone told me they saw me in a magazine, and I had had no idea! Aren't they supposed to tell you first?

    Either way, the surprise doesn't make it any less exciting (maybe even more) CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin