Monday, February 8, 2010

I want her job: Oh Joy! studio


Last week, Carlee of Deliciously Organized asked her readers "If you don't already have your dream job, what would it be?" Considering the fact I am interested in about 742 different things (ball park guess), I didn't know where to begin. Photography, interiors, film, fashion, shoes, writing, traveling... the list goes on. But then I thought about it and realized I'm already doing something I love. For those of you who don't know, I am a graphic designer (and communications associate) and work for a children's advocacy group based out of DC: a combination of using a creative skill and working for a cause. Not too shabby, yes?

But for argument's sake, let's say I am unemployed, starting from scratch, and could have any job in the world. Well, I think I found it. Enter Joy Deangdeelert Cho of Oh Joy! Studio. She graduated from Syracuse University (ditto), started her own graphics company, and now works with stores like Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie, small-business owners, and big name fashion designers like Cynthia Rowley. Wow! Yes, please. Getting paid to create beautiful patterns and prints? I'm not sure it could get any better. Plus Joy's products are girly, whimsical, and just plain fun to look at... most of her designs include cartoon-esque florals, swirls, and sparkles. Have a gander.

Aside from working with clients, some of whose products are shown below, Joy has branched out to create her own line as part of the Oh Joy! brand. Included are these darling notebooks with metallic and pastel designs and scalloped edges. I love them.
She also has a line of stationary that sells on Wedding Paper Divas.


Not long after starting in NYC advertising, Joy transitioned to accessories and textile design at Cynthia Rowley where she designed products for Rowley's Target line, Swell. After leaving the Big Apple, Joy continued to work with Rowley through her new company, creating vibrant, pretty products including those seen below.

She's also led the art direction for Joya Reserva body lotions and candles, available at Anthropologie.

Joy has worked extensively with Urban Outfitters, designing prints and patterns that have been integrated into products for the hipster store - like this zodiac sign pillow cases...
and these vibrant rugs
the labels on these candles (which I initially thought was jam. I guess you'd call that a job well done.)
and more zodiac but in the form of drinking glasses

Of all Joy's skills, I think the most fun would be branding: concocting an identity for organizations and companies. Starting with the logo and working down to the tiniest details, letterhead, business cards, etc., I just love some of the branding Joy has done for clients. Here is a selection of my favorites.

-great color contrast-
-love the typography-
-a polka-dotted letter-
-cut-outs in a business card-
-vintage-inspired, thrift-store appeal for a men's custom suit shop-
*all photos from OhJoy!*

Genius.

Oh, and did I mention she has a blog?

So, to continue the soul-searching question of the hour, what would your dream job be?

8 comments:

  1. Whatever it is you choose - make sure that it is YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd say photographer for a travel magazine. That sounds pretty great!!

    -Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a good question! i would have to say fashion designer/stylist. although beinga super talented, well connected designer like joy from oh joy! wouldn't be bad either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I agree, she has an incredible job. Love all her work. Thanks for sharing, off to check out her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, that is one talented lady! I wish I could be as creative as her, and then have one of her many jobs. I love the notebooks (especially the one on the top right corner).

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi alaina!
    thank you for becoming a follower of my blog! - where did you find it?
    the images on your blog are stunningly inspiring... i'm looking forward to browsing more!
    robyn from "this is life."

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! i think i'm juggling approximately 742 different interests as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin