Monday, February 22, 2010

Office space: The Big Reveal!


Do we all remember what I started out with back in December...?

This is my home office so I had to make use of it immediately after moving in. Not too shabby given the circumstances...

Then I drew up a plan to make it better. And blacker...

And randomly one Sunday, I woke up, ran to the paint store, came back, and got to work.

That single quart of Benjamin Moore's Black Jack was all it took to cover this small office wall. Twice over. Kind of looks charcoal grey in the photo. Intriguing.

Scary and exciting...

Almost done.

The greatest invention ever. A trimming brush. You don't even need to tape off the edges.

Finito!
But it's missing something...

Ah yes. A little art here...

and a little art there...

You get the picture...

And THAT is how you hang photos haphazardly. Grab a piece of art and a nail, and go! I really love that there is still more space on the wall to add to my personal art gallery.

Drum roll please...
Tada!!

and for one last before/after comparison

Here is the sketch as explained on January 6:

And here is the almost finished product!
I want to spruce up that bulletin board a bit and add window treatments. But I am awaiting higher temperatures before I can paint the trim of the bulletin board. And I'm too lazy and too broke (damn you, fabulous trip to Thailand) to go find window treatments I love.

Anyway, I hope you like it as much as I do! It's so fun and pretty to sit in here and stare at all day. Which is what I do. At least 9 hours a day. 8 for work + at least 1 for blogging.

Good thing I love it!

31 comments:

  1. LOVE it! It looks like it's out of a magazine now. You did a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it all looks so great. the black adds so much drama to the space and I love that yellow pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that's more like it!great job =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well no wonder you do so much great blogging, graphic design, this space is SO pure and inspiring. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great!!! And, I love that you use the same method for hanging pictures as I do :) Such a fun little space. Soooo ready for my own office to be finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Supercalifabulous! I was weary about the black but now I admit it looks really good and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you've done! Especially the black wall and gallery art. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE it! Have you tried facing your desk towards the door? (It would be good feng shui. Helps with productivity, wards off boredom.) If there isn't enough space, you could put one side against the side wall. You could even have a chair on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look sooo amazing! I adore it~~~ love love love


    www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was waiting for the big reveal! Your space looks awesome. Window treatments, huh? You know I'm having such a hard time selecting the right ones for my home. I can't wait to see what you select for this space. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Congrats on being done with it and coming out with such an amazing space. I love the zig zag pillow too! I can't wait to have an office of my own someday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks awesome! I love the "gallery" wall for all your art. Very cool. How do you keep it so clean and simple?? I have a papers problem, I have to have a filing cabinet to sort all my things and now I've outgrown my little cabinet and need a bigger one! I hardly see a single piece of paper in your space, lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I'm living vicariously through your bravery... I don't think I'd ever be able to commit to a black wall, but yours looks great. And thanks for the info on the trimming brush! I've always wanted to buy one but figured they were just a gimmick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks PHENOMENAL!! I mean seriously, wow! I love it! Where did you get the throw pillows?? And where did you get those incredible shelves?? This is fabulous ~ I hope you don't mind me posting about this transformation later on this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am Loving your Blog...U did a Fabulous Job;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great before and after. I absolutely love black walls, and the presentation of your post was inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just came back to let you know that I gave you the "Happy Award" on my blog today and I mentioned this fabulous makeover in my post! Feel free to share the joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the wall and the pops of yellow. You must enjoy working in such a great space!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the vertical stacks of books

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's quite adorable. I do agree with Dawn though. You might try using the desk in a way that isn't facing the wall. I face a wall most of the time, and I hate it, but I have no options. Of course, looking out a window is best.

    It looks like the perfect little apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the pops of yellow, so fresh, with the black! Good for you. Enjoy your new space!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great home office! Very well done! What about framing out the bulletin board to give it a little "heft"? Maybe in black? Or cover it in the fabric you use for the window treatments (or a complimentary fabric)? But why am I making suggestions? You have fabulous taste and ideas yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your office looks great - where did you get the "Live What You Love" artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks wonderful...love the pics leading up to the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WONDERFUL!!!! GREAT & NICE JOB!!! from Argentina, my congratulations!!!!

    Pls if you can tell me... what is the name of the chair??
    Tks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Do you know what style name of the table that is? I've been searching for the same style for a while (well, would love to have the Parsons but too spendy for now!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin