Friday, February 26, 2010

NOLA


Last weekend was my first trip to New Orleans. And despite returning home with a nasty head cold, I loved my time there and cannot wait to return. I only had two days to explore the small city and what I saw in the French Quarter and Garden District left me nostalgic of my weekends roaming around Prague and Paris during my semester abroad. Old World architecture sat atop cobbled roads and large, rusted lanterns lined Royal Street. Artists and antique dealers opened their doors while musicians with violins and trumpets set up outside. It was like being transported to another world, in another time. Sometimes it was hard to remember Bourbon Street was just a block away (I'll exclude pictures from that part of the trip). As promised, here is a short photo album of some of my favorite architecture and scenery in good ol' NOLA.


I couldn't get enough of the shop signs hanging above. Why don't we have these in Chicago?

a walk through the Garden District

Happy Weekend, dear readers!

14 comments:

  1. Aww New Orleans...my chest just got tight thinking about my time with Pete there. Isn't it just the most unique, magical city?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So stunning! I love all the front porches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went to NoLa this year for the first time! LOVED the architecture, your photos are wonderful! Did you go inside the bar at the hotel Monteleone? It's like a carousel - the bar and stools actually spin around! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those homes are just amazing! I would love to go to NOLA :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had such a good time! It really is something down here...it is so fun going to college down here too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful pictures! I'm jealous of the budding trees ~ can't it be spring here in Chicago already? :)

    have a great weekend ~
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great images. You captured the city perfectly!
    I can tell you had a terrific time!

    Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alaina- these photos make me want to go back more than you know (especially since this morning it was 11 degrees with the wind chill). Thanks for the wonderful photos, and the carousel bar is a must next time : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son attends college on St. Charles...could there be a better place? All walking, streetcar, great food and music and caring professors. It's what you dream about for your children and wish you had been smart enough to do yourself.

    Thankfully, this has been our second home for almost 20 years, too. You caught it in pics for me while I am sitting in Vermont and missing him and NO bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great images - especially the homes. Though I'm mostly caught up in the fact that it look so warm! I'm in Chicago, too, and I am definitely over the cold. Found you through one of my new fave's, Cara City Girl Chicago's blog and yours is just as adorable! I'll happily be back! Marija

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pics--love those old Southern houses! Have you ever been to Savannah? Some of the prettiest I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Alaina,

    Just came across your blog from MadeByGirl and I'm hooked!! I love this post by the way :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin