Monday, May 21, 2012

change.

Well, it's official. Come September 1, 2012, I will no longer call this place home.


As I sit here on the sofa trying to stay cool on this steamy Sunday evening, I can't help but feel sad. Sad at how much I'll miss this place. At how much I really don't want to leave it. Like any home, it's crazy to think of all that's happened in these six rooms over the past two and a half years. So many memories that I fear will slowly start to slip away once I'm no longer here. It's as those being in this space grants me instant access to them; like they are somehow swirling around me at all times, and the sounds, smells, and sights of these rooms can take me back to any moment at any time. And I don't want to forget it. Any of it. The laughter, the heartache, the friends, the boyfriends, the long hours in my office, the game nights, the experiments in the kitchen (both successful and not), the sick days where all I wanted was to stay curled up in bed, the New Year's Eve party where I met the great guy I've since fallen for... I've learned and grown and changed so much since moving in here. My first real grown-up place. It's been my refuge. My design playground. The first place other than my childhood home that actually felt like home. But most importantly, this drafty apartment has helped me do exactly what I set out to do when I sat down and started this blog three years. Create myself. Pursue my passions. Build a business.


From writing LCY, to designing blogs, to drawing logos, to helping launch an online magazine, to guest editing for Chicago Home and Garden Magazine, to landing my first styling projects, to launching The Everygirl; I've done it all from this tiny, 6x9 feet, color-splashed space. I think I'll miss this room the most. My creative haven. My hideaway when everything else in life seemed pear-shaped. Where I've often sat from 8am until midnight, lost in work, with my pups at my feet, singing along to whatever playlist I had on loop at the time, writing and illustrating and emailing away, planning the next big thing... yes. I'll miss this room most.


All of that being said, I have to admit, I am equally so excited for this move. As of right now, it looks like I'll be getting my own place come fall. It will be the first time in (almost) 27 years I'll have my own bathroom. I have no idea what that's like! Danielle says she thinks everyone should live alone at some point. And I agree. Not to mention it means a whole new home to decorate (I'm constantly looking around my apartment deciding what's coming with and what's going on Craigslist)! As for inspiration... let the pinning begin!

17 comments:

  1. For the past 1.5 years, I've been living in my own apartment, and it's wonderful...mostly. The only cons I have about living sans roommate are that I am messier, with no one else's feelings in consideration, and I'm possibly a bit more antisocial, because I come home to a quiet house. Nevertheless, all the great things you hear about living on your own are totally true and definitely trump those 2 cons, any day! I'm sure you'll love it. And there's nothing more fun than decorating a new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that every girl needs to live alone at some point. Add that to an EveryGirl checklist! Can't wait to see your new place and everything you do with it. I know it will be "yours" in every way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with you and Danielle about living alone. One of the main reasons i decided to live alone this year was because I was worried I would never be able to afford it again (since the cost of living in Cincinnati is so low!)

    There are such amazing things for you around the corner, and so many more memories waiting to be made in your future apartment. I'm so excited for you.

    Also, the writing in this post was just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Nothing breathes fresh air into a life like a move. It would definitely be hard to leave that natural light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new place! I think moving is always bittersweet. You're excited for what lies ahead but reminiscent of the good times that have passed. But hey, that's life. Good times lie in the past, the present, and the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home is simply gorgeous! I bet your next will be even better too! Good luck :)
    -Tia
    sewcalmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on taking the new step in your life! Living alone definitely has great things that come along with it. Can't wait to see the new place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! Cant wait to see your new place!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty blog! Count me as your newest follower!

    Cheers, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived alone once upon a time...for about 8 months. And then I got swept up off my feet and ended up moving into my boyfriend's (now husband's) house :) I can't wait to see your new apartment, I have no doubt it's going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats, alaina! definitely sounds like you're moving up which is something to be extremely proud of...here's to making tons of new memories in your new place!

    dayka

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the actual act of moving is a breeze and that you'll enjoy settling in your new digs when the time comes. While moving can be such a pain, it's a great time to get a fresh new start. Congrats on all your accomplishments -- just think of what the next place (your future) will have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you find your special place, it is hard to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see what you do with the new place. Are you and Danielle moving in together? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting! I definitely think living by yourself is an important growing experience we should all go through! Can't wait to see how you decorate your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very exciting! Change is scary and sometimes sad, but sooooo worth it. And living alone was one of the best experiences of my life, you will just love having your own space! Looking forward to seeing posts and pics of your journey throughout the year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everyone SHOULD live alone and now's your chance. But I expect a key and plan on spending lots of time at your place. So it'll be just like having a roommate. Lucky you.

    So excited for both of our moves and all the redecorating. It's kind of crazy (but not shocking) that we're moving at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin