Thursday, May 24, 2012

two girls, one apartment. here we go...

two of my good girl friends just got a place together and need some help decorating. the chance to decorate a girls-only city pad? naturally, i jumped on that opportunity. sadly, my best friend has somewhat... how do i put this delicately... masculine taste. she likes grey. and green. and abhors all things girly and considers me a flashy dresser if i pair a colored top with my sparkly necklace. well, rats.

either way, she sent me the couch she likes this morning, and i actually like it a lot! the clean lines and nailhead trim make this a great piece to work off of.
and to my surprise and delight, she started sending along very bright (and feminine!) looking pillows. so i ran with it and immediately hopped over to my favorite pillow cover source, fabricadabra.

i tried to keep the bigger items toned down and cater to her quasi-traditional taste. the coffee table, chevron rug, lamps, and mirror are all basic, neutral pieces that you could really use in any style room. i added in more feminine, glam pieces with the sconces, bookends, beaded hurricane, pillows, and of course, the gold pouf (which i'm aware wouldn't make it into this living room in a gagillion years, but heck, i think it looks awesome).

gosh, i haven't done one of these lil' mock-ups in ages. that was fun.

ok, now back to work.

12 comments:

  1. I tend to lean more toward masculine colors and shapes in design, much like your friend, and I actually think the pouf, pink geode, beaded candleholder, and Indian-print pillow are a little too girly. I like some aspect of femininity, though, so I usually look for pieces that are feminine in shape but masculine in color. Occasionally I'll look for pieces the other way around, too. But I really love that couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually a big fan of mascululine, basic pieces, because I hate feeling frou frou. But I love to contrast them with girly, sofer pieces, much like you did here. I always secretly feel like my apartment is a wee bit too girly for me, but heck, you're only a young twenty-something lady once! Those bookends are unreal. Love all of the juxtoposition in ths little mock up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am moving in a month - I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!! Can you do one for me??? :D

    xo-T
    curlyinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Alaina - love the gold pouf. Tell your friend its a must - she needs to trust your judgement. By the way I need a pouf. Color and where?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE THE ROOM! Please tell me you offer this as a service!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! Gold pouf is awesome. Wait - now I want to re-do my apartment...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is super cute! Nice work. Loving that gold pouf. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought this post was going to be all about why we should live together. Haha.

    Great job on this room. Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm moving in with a friend next wekend and I know our biggest battle will be agreeing on how to decorating. this gives me hope that we can come to a compromise!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. good luck with the move! this is going to be my next sofa..or something similar. I saw one here in the city at ABC Home - looked similar..but it was velvet...i could die! :) Have a nice wknd.

    Madebygirl.blogspot.com
    MadeByGirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s. i misread...Your friend are moving?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that couch and the nailhead trimming! It's a great color that can be versatile. I love how you've put all the pieces together like that, I normally just do really horrible sketches. This seems more practical, definitely inspiring me to do the same for my next remodeling project.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin