Friday, October 5, 2012

27 years young

27 is here. 27 years on this earth. how is that possible?! i feel like yesterday my dad was teaching me to ride without training wheels. and my mom was cheering me on at swim practice. and my sister and brother were launching mini halloween m&m packets at our kitchen ceiling fan to see them shoot around the room. boy, how fast time flies.

but october 5th showed up again, as loyal as ever (unless the mayans prove to be right and this is the last time my charming fall friend and i will meet). but i have to be completely honest and unabashedly cheesy with you. i woke up smiling. i honestly could not be more grateful for the place that i am at in life right now.


first off, i'd say the many facets of my career are great. so many exciting things are happening for the everygirl (including partnerships with gap, banana republic, kate spade, rue, vanity fair, qvc, random house, coach - to name a few). gosh, i scroll through our features and am flabbergasted at the amazing, talented, inspiring women we've had grace our site. founders, ceos, vice presidents, artists, entrepreneurs, authors, chefs, bloggers... i am ever so humbled that they wanted to be a part of this little [huge] project my dear friend danielle and i dreamt up.

oh - and have you heard of decorBase? it was just announced here. i know most of you are familiar with the delight that is peppermint bliss, and if you are then you know the author bailey's husband pete. i think i've mentioned before, but pete and i are lifelong friends. we met in sixth grade and despite spending the majority of the past - oh my god, has it really been 15 years?! - in separate states, we have remained great friends. pete's kinda sorta brilliant, one of the characteristics that i most admire about him, and this new idea of his is really quite great and will help a lot of people and companies. it's one of those win win win situations. seriously - read about here. i was so honored that he asked me to help and look forward to helping launch this new site over the next several months.

and... i'm going on five years with every child matters, the child advocacy npo i've worked at since graduating from syracuse. yes, i still have my day job - i know most people don't realize that. although i fortunately get to do it from home. it's always an exciting time with work during the election season, and i love each of my coworkers in dc and feel lucky to have gotten to work with all of them these past several years.

then there's my family, which is growing by the week! this past month with tiny, sweet jack martin - my brother and sister-in-law's son - has been such a joy. he makes the most darling sounds while he sleeps and as you can see, i think it's apparent he really likes my bosom. no matter the age, what is it with men and bosoms?! i love babies, and he is the best. and in a matter of days, i'll get to meet my teeny niece! i have a super secret gift surprise for both of them that they know not what it is. i'm so excited to give it to them. but seriously, two babies in two months. oh, could fall be any better?


then there's my girlfriends. next week i'm having dinner with my everygirls - danielle and caitlin, who if i'm being honest, are probably the closest things to what i believe soul mates are (have i filled my cheeseball quota yet? screw it. it's my bday. when in rome!). you know when you meet people and you just get each other? when you have the same reaction to nearly everything? like you share a brain? that's us. we be like peas and carrots.

and tomorrow i'm heading off to the lovely michigan for some relaxation and girl time (read: wine tasting!) with my dearest, lifelong friends - these beautiful ladies, whom i love dearly and will easily be friends with for the rest of my life. through thick and thin, we've got each others' backs.

so, with a blossoming career, relationship, family, and friends, i think, ole' 27, it is clear that we can expect great things from you. 

26, adios, it's been grand!

in this post, there are quotes from forrest gump, napoleon dynamite, and harry potter. bonus cool points if you caught them. i love games.

18 comments:

  1. How could you NOT be the happiest girl ever! You are so blessed, and clearly you have worked hard to be where you are at... you deserve all of it! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I just turned 27 last week, and I think 27 is a fabulous age! Wishing you all of the best, and a fabulous vacation next weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alaina, I love how appreciative you are of all the great things and people in your life. This post filled me up.

    Enjoy everything--but especially your upcoming trip to Cancun with your super sweet stud! Have a blast!

    Wishing you the happiest of birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to a wonderful sister! So proud of you and all your accomplishments this year....cant' wait to see you soon and celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved everything about this post. You deserve nothing but the best, today and always lady! 27 is looking great on you already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I cannot wait for a good old fashioned birthday game night with my best girl. And I really can't wait to give you your presents.

    You deserve all the happiness and success in the world. You get to work with me every single day so the past year has obviously been the best ever. ;) But seriously–you are so sweet, talented, funny, and sparkly.

    I am so happy/lucky to be a part of your life. Peas + carrots, you and me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! 27 was the best year of my life (and it keeps getting better). Congrats on all your accomplishments, I've loved following your journey for the last few years :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happiest of birthday's!! Hope you have a fabulous night with friends and a fun trip to Mexico! Enjoy every last second of it x

    www.glittersgold.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, lady!!

    Obviously, according to this post, the days are only getting better.

    27 is sure to mark the year when the sun shines brighter, the dreams grow bigger, and the sweetest things get sweeter.

    It's all blue sky from here on out!

    Hooray for birthdays & hooray for you--cheers to you today & everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alaina happy birthday!! I hope 27 is the best year yet. You have deserved everything you have achieved and have so much to be proud of. Have the absolute best birthday, you definitely deserve it! Happy 27th year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! So many exciting things going on right now... and I'm sure much more fun to come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Alaina! Best wishes for a wonderful year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy for you. Your life sounds amazing right now. And I believe you really deserve it!! So happy birthday, and have a wonderful day/week/year... ;)
    xo Andrea
    Wonderful and Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Alaina ! You are doing so well for yourself right now I am so impressed ...

    Love Chrissi xo

    www.christianaholt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! I hope I receive a small fraction of your success!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hold the phone. Were you in New Buffalo yesterday wearing a pink chanel bag? If so, I 100% saw you from afar. I was going to be the weird girl that came up to you and said "Oh, hey. We met at the Chicago Blogger Blitz" and then I thought, there's no way that's Alaina. But now, based on your post, I'm thinking it totally was.
    I was freezing my ass off in a coat, scarf, gloves and floppy Gap hat.

    Happy happy 27th! Hope it's a great year. (I think I got married when I was 27...I can't even remember anymore!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Belated Birthday! You're such an inspiration! I had no idea you still had your day job! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin