Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mom's New House: family room inspiration

Swedish interiors are the main inspiration for my mom's new home. Almost every room will consist of light grey walls, neutral colored furnishings, natural woods, and an abundance of white. Sounds easy enough. Until you realize her current family room couch is black. Buying a new couch would be pretty ridiculous seeing as the quality is still good, and quite frankly, custom slipcovers can be a bit pricey. So, despite the big bad couch, I've planned a room around it, incorporating all of the design elements she wants. Here's what I've got planned:


1. wooden wall clock | 2. wood gallery frames | 3. French linen pillows | 4. jute rug | 5. floor lamp | 6. candlesticks | 7. coffee table | 8. sweep armchair | 9. Nest Bamboo scent candle

*Note: all items can be purchased online and are under $500, so if you're looking for a new look in your home, feel free to use this one!

14 comments:

  1. Very Restoration Hardwary if that even exists ;)
    Like it a lot, calm and cozy at the same time, kind of rustic but elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I love LOVE that clock! I can't believe the price! AH!

    thanks :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this look! What a great start--I love the rug, candlestick holders (love the new meets antique look!) and clock--

    abodelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm LOVE it all. But I have #6 (which sits on top of the smaller version of #7) and my rug is pretty similar to that one as well.

    I think I'm going to buy that clock. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your comment about the big bad couch! (so funny) And love that you decided to work with it. Great pieces you chose, I can't wait to see a pic of the finished room!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look. Light, airy, and comfortable; just they way we like it. Now for the kitchen.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it all! Especially those chairs. Design a space is always more interesting when working with existing pieces. Anyone can design a room from scratch, but it takes skill to work in an 'ugly duckling' and make it all look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that clock and coffee table! Great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The black might actually be a blessing in disguise with all the other elements. It could be that one slightly unexpected, but perfectly at-home element!

    Heidi

    http://www.athousandlaughingstarfish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a grear room! I really love the rustic look

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it all, but especially the chair, the clock, and the pillows! I've been really drawn to neutrals lately, they're so calming and you can do so much with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alaina, I love this! I wish I could afford to redo my living room! This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alaina, it was so great to meet you at Danielle's on Tuesday. I've been browsing your blog the last couple of days. I am obsessed with that Brad and Angelina photo shoot.

    I this room inspiration. I'm imagining a very comfortable cozy space.

    Here's a link to those shoes I was telling you about: http://40daykedge.wordpress.com/2010/12/07/turkey-trot-10k

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin