Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Musical Art

If you asked me what I thought of hanging instruments in a living room, I'd probably laugh. And now, surprisingly, I am 99% on board with the idea. Nate has a nice looking acoustic guitar and we have an empty space on a wall in our living room. I saw the room below featured on Escapade blog a while back and was drawn to the airy, neutral furnishings. It looks like a great place for friends to hang out, which is exactly what I want our home to be. I think having a beautiful musical instrument on display adds to the informality, encouraging people to feel comfortable, happy, and at home.


This is an old photo from last spring - notice the coffee table, chair, and one of the dining chairs still hadn't been painted. But this is one of the few photos I have that shows the formidable oversized technology in the living room. There is about two feet of space to the right of the TV, and that is where I am thinking of hanging the guitar.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Have any of you done this?

14 comments:

  1. I have a musician friend that has a wall with two acoustic guitars, one electric, and a bass. It's beautiful! And it inspires him to pick them up and play a tune at random times, which makes it all the more fun to visit him. You should definitely hang the guitar there! It'll bring a bit of warmth and personality into the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most musical instruments are beautiful -- works of art. So, hanging them on a wall is a great idea even if they're not in playing order. I think it'll look great on your wall.
    Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea, anytime smart storage can look stylish, I say go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its a great idea. Definitely go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think hanging a guitar there would look great. Or a surfboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a really great idea and that you should go for it. I'm also amazed at how you have such a great space like that in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alaina, your place is perfect for hanging an acoustic guitar. It'll look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my friend has a couple guitars on her wall, and i love it.

    p.s. love your rug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alaina, I love your taste but I have many musician friends who would view a guitar as wall art as pretentious UNLESS you or Nate are musicians and this was just one of your many instruments and had a sentimental meaning. --be

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have four on the wall right now you can see them if you cut and paste this link: http://amongsttheaspentrees.blogspot.com/2010/11/guitars-they-are-multiplying.html
    I love them Mike will pull them down and start playing much more than he used to. I love it because sometimes when we are watching TV he will mute during the commercial breaks and play. What you love should be evident in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is beautiful! Where did you get your rug? I have been looking for something similar

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's a great idea, and it's something that has meaning to you! I say go for it. I have a vintage camera on the table next to my sofa and have my tripod out in the living room as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your apartment. I am seriously thinking about stealing your paint colors. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have musical art in our home! It's beautiful and a great way to get the guitars off the floor. We hung my vintage Martin guitar and banjo one on top of the other - love it! go for it :>)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin