Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ikea's Mystery Inventory

I recently became a regular reader of Ikea's blog, Livet Hemma. I don't understand any of what it says, seeing as it's written in Swedish, but the styling of the photos are all the inspiration I need. I saw a recent post featuring the work space above and immediately zeroed in on the folding desk with the words "WORK IN PROGRESS" scribbled on top of it. It not only caught my eye because I liked the look of it, but more so because I had never seen that product ever before. And sometimes I feel like I know the entire Ikea catalogue. So I clicked through the links, which took me to the Swedish Ikea page. I copied the product name, pasted it into the search bar on the US site, and low and behold, the GĂ–RAN table is available at my local store for $49.99. WHY had I never seen this table before?! You can search through all of the dining tables - it's not there. Search through the desks, the work tables - still it doesn't show up. I do not know or understand why Ikea has these little mystery items that are not included in the category searches, but I am sure glad I found this one. Ladies and gentlemen, I think I found my new desk.


1. chair | 2. table | 3. drawer unit | 4. lamp

11 comments:

  1. Sweet! I will definitely be checking that out. I have found IKEA's website to be a bit odd when doing searches and trying to find specific items as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great desk, I love the big wide workspace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I like it too, and you can probably put the draws under it?! Id love that for my apartment

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was totally smitten with this photo's styling as well. I saw this "desk" in another instance & had the same problem tracking it down. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have just solved the storage problem of my current "door" desk. I have been looking for the appropriate height pieces for MONTHS now and did not want to spend a fortune. The 2 multi-drawer units in white/birch and the corresponding white cabinet are my ideal solution. IKEA opens here in Denver this Fall, looks like I'm going to have to wait until then. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How odd Ikea! I wonder if there is intention in having some items be a bit more mysterious / harder to locate, as in enticing people to be more in the know about their items to really find the good stuff... or perhaps, it's just a slip-up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is sooo wierd but to be honest I think they have a problem with "labeling" their products because some stuff won't show up under their respective category, it's just weird. Now, those items, LOVE them, the desk is fantastic and the chair is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely want to steal the idea of the big bold white writing on top! brilliant thanks for sharing :)
    Unfortunately when I copied the title into IKEA Australia I didn't have any luck- but I will keep hunting around for something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. IKEA rules! And I love the fact that this nifty Swedish store is everywhere so even me reading your blog from Paris can now go and buy the furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post!!!!
    Hi!my name's martina and I come from Italy... I'd like you visit my blog and if you want, follow me! I wait you and your tips! kiss kiss ;D

    marti
    Glamour Marmalade
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/2045731/glamour-marmalade

    ReplyDelete
  11. what the what? Yet more hidden treasures at IKEA! Loving the styling in these images.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin