Monday, January 3, 2011

One year later...

... and I finally have curtains.

I can't believe exactly one year ago, I moved into this oversized albeit under-insulated vintage apartment on Chicago's North Side. Decorating has been such a blast, and I'm grateful I've had all of you to share the process with. I am not sure if you remember my original plan for creating a casual, neutral living room, but it included white panel curtains. Well, one year has passed, and I now have them. Rejoice! Why the delay? Well, it turns out, curtains and hardware are a bit pricier than expected. So I waited, and searched for affordable options, then searched again, and waited some more. Finally, I had a plan. Instead of buying three sets of curtains, I simply bought one and hung a single panel on either side of the bay of windows in my living room. I believe The Dude said it best: "it really ties the room together." And bravo to those of you who noticed the new curtains in the photo I included in my Christmas Gram.

I went with West Elm's affordable cotton canvas panels, and they're hanging from the simple yet chic cylinder rods in a polished nickel finish.

In other news, I was extraordinarily fortunate to receive a new camera for Christmas. Dear Old Dad surprised me with the Nikon d60 I've been wanting, so I am hoping this generous gift improves the overall quality of eye candy I photograph for the blog. I don't really know how to use it yet aside from pointing and shooting sans flash, so if any of you have tricks up your sleeve that you'd like to share, well, I'd really like that.

20 comments:

  1. Looks Amazing! Great work. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The space looks gorgeous! I love the new curtains- they add a nice softness to the room!

    abodelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your apartment looks absolutely gorgeous! Curtains help so much. I've been saving for them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your close up shots, A! I was lucky enough to get a PEN for Christmas. Still trying to figure it out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, it looks wonderful.
    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your place looks great Alaina!! Cheers to a New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! We must be on the same wavelength, because I FINALLY picked curtains for my bay window too... now I just have to save up for them for the next 2 months :( My Christmas money is going to a DSLR (I'm leaning toward Canon) so I've been digging up photo resources - there are some great tips on Centsational Girl and Pioneer Woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't stop staring at this gorgeous room. I mean seriously. I think you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like the same floor plan I had while I was going to school in Chicago. I lived at Roscoe and Sheffield! Yours looks much more beautiful than mine ever did! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great room, great pics! I need that camera too!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow amazing work!

    http://s-snowhite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great Christmas gift! I got a Nikon SLR recently and I love it so far... I too have to figure out how to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did an ab fab job...it looks fantastic and very inviting!!! Just found your blog...it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love love love your place! Can your dad buy me a nikon d60 too? I really want one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so beautiful! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i really love your space - i'm trying to decorate my new tiny apartment and you've got some great ideas. esp love the dining room!
    -katie

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE what you have done with the space - the rug is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW, you did a fab job! love all of the grey tones...the space is so light, bright and airy!

    xo,
    joAnn

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the rug in your living room and your dining room table. I am decorating our new house and the rug and table are exactly what I'm looking for. Where did you buy them?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin