Friday, January 14, 2011

LCY Listens: Scala and Kolacny Brothers

I had to share this new music discovery with all of you. I'm sure you'll recognize one of the songs - a cover of Radiohead's "Creep" - from The Social Network trailer. But it was last week that I began investigating, after seeing the promo for the PBS miniseries, Downton Abbey, and hearing the same female voices covering Sting's "Every Breath You Take." Turns out the Scala and Kolacny Brothers is an award-winning Belgian girls choir known for covering pop music in addition to singing original pieces. Two brothers, Stijn and Steve Kolacny, have produced more than 10 albums with their choir, and I found out they'll be touring in the States this spring. This is one group I'd love to see live. Enjoy.


"I'll Be Watching You" (originally by Sting)
for Downton Abbey trailer

"Creep" (originally by Radiohead)
for The Social Network trailer

"With or Without You" (originally by U2)

"Champagne Supernova" (originally by Oasis)

"Use Somebody" (originally by Kings of Leon)

The choir covers faster, more upbeat songs, but I think the ballads are the most beautiful.

Happy Weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I follow your blog for decor inspiration, but you never fail to blow me away with your music recommendations either. Every single one of those was beautiful! I'm definitely going to see them when they come to the 9:30 club OR maybe I can convince my husband and brother to find a show when we're in Belgium next fall. That would be pretty darn awesome too. Thanks for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I needed this right now (crazy morning!).

    Absolutely captivating. I haven't yet seen the movie, and have not heard their voices. So, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was wonderful... I'm so glad you posted about this choir... I'm hooked. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Their music is captivating and beautiful. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I remember loving "Creep" done by a choir when I saw the trailer for the Social Network. Would like to get their CD.

    I love your blog and want to wish you a Happy New Year before January passes by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a cool group! I'm a choral singer myself so I'm always interested in hearing about cool new choral groups (read: not stuffy and religious lol)
    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just wanted to let you know that I absolutely adore your blog! it's one of my favorite daily reads, and I love to look at your house tour for inspiration for my own little rental. Keep it up :)

    www.simplegirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin