Tuesday, January 11, 2011

LCY Chicago: Maude's Liquor Bar

Do you ever find a restaurant you cannot wait to return to? It doesn't happen that often for me. My last favorite discovery was Pastis in New York City; when I was there in September, I ended up eating it twice in three days. But, last Wednesday, the newest restaurant in Chicago's West Loop opened its doors to the public, and it's fair to say I'm obsessed.

Maude's Liquor Bar offers diners a taste of Paris both in its cuisine and ambience. (Oddly enough - so does Pastis.) But Maude's rustic French menu ranges from "traditional French" fare to "almost French," and includes items such as beef shortrib bourguignon, escargot, traditional cassoulet, and a French onion fondue (like the soup without the broth). But what I really love is the decor. Chesterfield sofas line the walls, white subway tiles frame the bar, and vintage chandeliers dimly light the room, giving the appearance that the restaurant has been there for the better part of a century. But the absolute, best part about the place? When I was there, I felt like I was in Paris. And I will take that any day of the week.




Dinner for two. We ordered the blackened brussel sprouts drizzled with paremesan and the Grand Plateaux - a towering display of fresh, raw shellfish including jumbo shrimp and oysters. It was everything I hoped for and more.

photos via

13 comments:

  1. This is literally a hop, skip and a jump from my place and I've only heard good things ~ very much looking forward to going, but first, we must get through the tedious home-buying process!

    Hope you are well ~
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maude's looks amazing! I too, have heard great things about it, and can't wait to try their escargot and French onion fondue! {great pics btw.}

    ReplyDelete
  3. must go there next time im in town. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete is so jealous you got to eat here before us!! Your review quickly bumped it up on our "must eat" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place has been on my to-go-to list! Glad to hear it was as amazing as it looks! Have you been to Gilt? You'd love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read about Maudes last week in the REDEYE.....I'm def going to try it soon! Thanx for the review! CHEERS! Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. Time for a mom/daughter supper date!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this on DailyCandy last week and can't wait to go! Great pics - that tower of oysters and shrimp looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah.. this place looks pretty amazing. I will try it out when I come into town later this month. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh this place is owned by the same people as Gilt bar (one of my absolute favorites). I cant wait to try. And PS love how you are eying the food in your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A little bit north in Highwood there's a French/Cuban restaurant called Miramar. It's my favorite. I go there as often as I can. It sounds similar. Check it out if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin