Tuesday, December 13, 2011

LCY Home Tour: Sources

Several times a week I'll get a message from a reader asking where an item in my home is from. Nine times out of ten, they're asking about the rug in my living room or the paint color on the walls. Silly me had not list the sources in any one place. Hopefully this will remedy that!

For starters, the living room rug is by West Elm. However, I bought it barely used on Craigslist a couple years ago, and I am sad to say West Elm no longer offers this style. They do have many other similar geometric patterns, including the Andalusia which comes in the same brown and cream colors. Otherwise, Jill Rosenwald sells a similar style in chocolate brown (my mom has the grey version).


Many of these items are no longer available as I purchased most everything two years ago when I moved into my apartment. As you can see, I'm a big believer in making a comfortable, pretty home even if you don't have a huge budget. Just be patient. Collect pieces you love over time. Expect to invest a little extra in the larger pieces like a couch or bed. And I highly recommend looking at thrift stores and flea markets for dressers (and other wooden furniture items: desk, dining table and chairs, coffee tables, media stands, etc). I remember when I was searching for a dresser, the cheapest option I found was $300-400 from Ikea, and it looked so generic. I ended up finding this 1950s dresser at my favorite local thrift store - the Brown Elephant on Halsted - for $45 and I painted it white. The drawers are deep, the wood is solid, the details are unique. I love it.

If you have any other questions about details and accessories, feel free to email me at alaina.lcy@gmail.com.

Hope this helps!

24 comments:

  1. Love your apartment Alaina! Every time I see the pics it makes me want to redecorate my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty pretty pretty! love the grey.......

    we are of the same DECOR HEART!

    xoox
    ashlina
    www.thedecorista.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best post I've read all day! I remember seeing all these pictures initially and drooling over them but I love them all even more now knowing where it all came from. Thanks for the inspiration and the reality check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your home! It's great that you were able to create a beautiful space economically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home is just absolutely gorgeous!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with you apartment! My sister lives in Logan Square and her apt is the same layout but she's been having trouble getting inspired.. I sent her this link and she is in love too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every time I see pictures of your apartment I fall more in love. It's so bright and airy in there. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love seeing your home! Great idea for a post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your apartment so much. Any day you post on it is a happy day for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What size Mac did you get? Any recommendations on getting a new one?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your decorations are so pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

    hellolucie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Serena & Lily pillows on your bed! Which colorway are they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really cool post, great for references, I love your home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your sources! Good to know a chic apartment can be made on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alaina, your place looks amamzing and it's great to see that with a little work and lots of creativity you can make a wonderful home. I;m sure it takes time to put everything together but the end result is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen your place before, but every time I see it again I literally drool! You have such an impeccable sense of style girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. great post! i admit i was one of those girls who emailed you! thank you for answering my email. Im still searching for an alternative to the west elm book case in the UK im sure ill find one soon! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing. You have fabulous taste.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First time here and your place is so creatively cute. You are absolutely right......you do not need a ton of money to have a stylish home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea to share specifically where things were purchased! Thanks for all the info and i love your home! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a Chicago gal too! I adore your decorating style. A pop of color here and there just make it so beautiful! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your home!! Very pretty...I used some of your images for my inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin