Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Before & After on a dime

I am sucker for a great makeover. Whether it's in magazines or on TV, I love seeing a space transform from something blah to something beautiful. And in my opinion, the best kind are the ones that cost little to no money. Rearranging and redecorating your space with items you already own can really go a long way depending on how open-minded you are. Fortunately for this NYC-native, New York designer Jonathan Rosen came into her home (that had hardly been changed in nine years) and completely altered it in a single day for minimal cost. All he did was pick up a few accessories - often the cheapest way to change the look of a room. The full story was featured in July's House Beautiful.

Before
There is an empty wall (blank canvas) over the fireplace just waiting for something eye-catching to fill it, and the couch and council table right when you walk in acts more as a barrier between the guest and the room. That needs to go.

After
This space is much more inviting with the loveseat moved back to the window. It draws your eye across the entire room. On another note, the designer really took advantage of the visual appeal of pairs. There are a pair of chests, lamps, chairs, sconces, and topiaries flanking either side of the fireplace.
Absolutely love the three serving dishes on the distressed mantel. I am a little surprised at the placement of such heavy candle sconces next to a gilded mirror, but it works.

5 comments:

  1. I still feel like Franck from father of the bride. And that isn't a bad thing, it was just a reference to a popular character that was a designer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looked great before the makeover. It is amazing what a new "eye" on a room can do. A terrific before and after. MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you agree with this quote? And do you think it's what you do when you design?

    "Design is a lot like clear thinking made visual."

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I have to disagree with that quote from personal experience only because when I design spaces I feel like I'm never really done. My thinking is anything but clear. I just kind of add new pieces or colors or accessories as I go... I never really feel finished with a room. But that's also why I have so much fun with it. Maybe if I had the money to do a room in one fell swoop, I'd have a different answer. But my projects are always an ongoing process... for example, I don't think my office will ever be done.

    Sorry if that's not the answer you were looking for! But thanks for the comment. I love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for replying. You gave an interesting argument. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin