Monday, September 28, 2009

Dinner with Jeffrey Beers International: Japonais Chicago

Last night was one of the most fun nights I've had in a long time. My mom, sister and I went to Japonais for dinner in celebration of my mom's birthday. Great conversation, gorgeous surroundings, lots of wine, and phenomenal, award-winning sushi made it the perfect - albeit pricey - night. My mom is new on the sushi scene, and she's fallen madly in love, so I recommended Japonais after going back in April for a friend's b-day. Despite the prices, this is some of the best food I've ever had, and the chic ambience adds to the overall experience. Go. Even if only for a special, special occasion.

Designed by Jeffrey Beers of Jeffrey Beers International, the restaurant "distinctly melds industrial Japan with European elegance. When conceptualizing the space, Jeffrey Beers deemed two variables of utmost importance: First, the grandeur and authenticity of the space; and second, the complementary relationship between the space and the cuisine."

The Green Room

The Red Room with sushi bar

The Lounge
Located downstairs, the Lounge is packed on weekends. Unfortunately, it offers overpriced drinks and swanky music. While it offers a cool atmosphere, this is the type of place I imagine LA celebs and socialities hang out... not for me. Plus the seating is just so damn low.

The Riverwalk
Entrance is off the Lounge on the lower level. The Riverwalk is also a tad swanky for me. But if you arrive early enough, it's a great place to grab a drink before dinner.

I found this photo of my two favorite dishes!
On the left (bright red) is the tuna tuna salmon: salmon tartare topped with sliced tuna, avocado sauce, and wasabi tobiko sauce
In the middle is the crispy shrimp and salmon: panko breaded shrimp roll topped with sashimi marinated salmon and wasabi tobiko sauce

If you make it to Japonais, you have to try The Rock.
thinly sliced marinated strip steak that you cook at the table on a scalding hot rock presentation

Other Locations
Japonais - Las Vegas (in the Mirage Hotel)
I found these amazing drawings from the design plans for the Vegas restaurant.
Finished product.
The interior plan - it looks like all three locations have the wooden wave panels on the ceilings.

More Lush Interiors by Jeffrey Beers International
Tokyo Hilton

DB Bistro - NYC

China Grill - Las Vegas

China Grill - NYC

China Grill - Mexico City

Aura - Paradise Island
photos from jeffreybeers.com, japonais, and flickr

2 comments:

  1. It looks pretty amazing. Coast is still one of my faves but I'll give this one a chance. It would be nice if it was BYOB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How your mom had a wonderful birthday the restaurant and food sure looked good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin