Monday, September 28, 2009

Let there be light!

Trends come and go in interior design much like they do in fashion, pop culture, and food (yes, food - think raw diet, atkins, sushi... just to name a few). Two trends that have been continually popping up more and more frequently in design magazines and blogs fall into the lighting category. Tripod lamps and arc lamps. If you are in the design biz, this is not news to you. But for those who rely on me to keep them apprised of what's hot in interior design, I thought I'd let you in on the secret. Throw either - or both! - of these two looks into your space, and the room's cool factor will immediately skyrocket. I'm pretty sure even guys will notice the arc lamp, featured below.

Tripod Lamps
I really started noticing these about a year ago. Pottery Barn made several versions, one of which is shown below. The other model looked a lot like a photographer's spotlight. The tripod lamp works as both a floor or table option, but take note that they take up quite a bit of space due to the circumference of the base. These can work in any room, any style home.
Designer Erin Gates' bought the Pottery Barn tripod lamp for her living room. The floor version is no longer available online, but it's still in some stores.
Lovely vignette.
Sapien bookcase, tripod lamp, and Eames chair. This girl has got it down, even if it is a tad cluttered.


Shop the Tripod Look
CB2 Twine lamp - not technically a tripod, but it has a similar effect

Arc Lamps
Another major trend is the arc lamp. Despite first impressions that you need a big room to house one of these babies, I think they are perfect for apartment dwellers, especially if you have a small eating area. It can be set to the corner of a square table and act as overhead lighting for dining. Or, as shown below, it's great in the main living space, if it's offset behind a chair or couch.
And for my gentlemen fan base, seriously. Instant cool factor.

Shop the Arc Look

5 comments:

  1. Those lamps are quite lovely and I definitely wouldn't have known about them without your post. Thanks for keeping us informed! Oh and I hope LCY wins the "Love this site!" award - you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you! I'm shocked at the number of people voting for me. I hope it continues.

    And you should definitely invest in one of these lamps. I bet your girlfriend would love it and be uber impressed. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what a lighting can do for a room. Great images that show this. I have always wanted that Pottery Barn Tripod standing Lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so many beautiful lamps! I think I'm partial to the tripods---Pottery Barn really nailed it. Thanks for sharing so many lovely interiors!
    XX Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about the Pottery Barn lamps - every time I walk through the store (which is more often than I care to say), I am tempted to bite the bullet and get it. So far, I haven't caved. I'll let you know if that changes!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin