Tuesday, October 5, 2010

25

After attending the most spectacular dinner party in New York, I left the Big Apple inspired and committed to taking some of what I learned from the talented Kelley Moore and implementing it in my own life. So for my 25th birthday (which is officially today!), I decided to host a small dinner party for my very best girlfriends. This meant invitations, fancy tabletop, appetizers, and cooking a meal for five (I've only cooked a meal for two a handful of times, so this was intimidating). The theme was black and sparkly, as indicated on the invites, so I wanted everything to do exactly that - sparkle!

TOP: gold chargers and pink cloth napkins are from World Market; white square dishes are from West Elm; the wooden letters/place cards are from JoAnn Fabrics but I painted them gold; one and a half yards of sparkly black tulle covered my white linen tablecloth to add a bit of dazzle pizazz to the tabletop.
BOTTOM LEFT: I used designer Nathan Turner's suggestion and wrapped sparkly black scrapbook paper around a clear vase. I added a bunch of hot pink roses and voila!
BOTTOM RIGHT: I designed the invitations in Photoshop, printed them off, mounted them on black card stock, and sent them off to the ladies - instructing them of the black and sparkly dress code.

Needless to say, the party was a huge success! I knew the gals were impressed when they started taking photos of the table, and the fact that they all showed up in black and sparkles made it that much better. We dined, we drank, the played a fun "how well do you really know each other" trivia game that I had set up, and then we ventured out to dance the night away.

Saturday night I had dinner with my family, tonight Nate's taking me on a date to my favorite French restaurant, and this Saturday I get to celebrate in San Francisco with my Rue girls and other favorite bloggers!

25, it is so nice to meet you! I welcome you with open arms!

33 comments:

  1. Lovely dinner party! Happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday and welcome to year 25! The party looked like it went beautifully- The letters on the plates are simply lovely and I am sure they made your guests feel very special! LOVE IT!

    abodelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great night! I plan a girls weekend every year. It's always a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday, lady! I can't wait to see you soon! I love how you've done your table. I'm having friends over next Friday for my birthday, and I'm now inspired to make it a bit more special than I would have otherwise :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Beauty! The tables looked marvelous and I am holding your margarita hostage until you return from San Fran! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such style you have, A! Love it all, esp. the letters and the grey striped fabric on the upholstered dining chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy happy birthday! that all looks so awesome, good well done! 25 is going to be a great year for you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Alaina. What a great party. Had fun celebrating on Saturday and Sunday.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday!!! It sounds like you're super busy with b-day celebrations, how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! You share it with my husband--good company!

    The party looks like it was fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so cute, happy birthday!! I love a great themed party and especially when it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Happy Birthday doll ~ here's to celebrating 25 years! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy happy birthday Alaina! this table looks so chic and I love all of the pink and sparkles :)

    can't wait to see you on Friday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. aw what a fun way to celebrate your 25th! you've inspired me to now through my very own dinner party soon! ps: i heart your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. happy birthday, Alaina! the table setting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday~ Looks like you throw amazing parties. I love the letters on the plates. Hope your 25th year is great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ALAINA: Wow you are still soooooo young! Lucky you! I'm an old fart compared to you...but i can say I am wiser....which Im sure you will say when your my age. :) Happy BIRTHDAY!! Your new blog looks cute by the way..! All the best :)))))))))

    www.madebygirl.com
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 25th Birthday. Your table scape looks elegant. You're as beautiful today as when I first meet you at the age of 3. Continue success with yourself and RUE. I enjoy reading your blog every day after I settle in and have my first cup of coffee.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! I love the theme and decor ... gives me ideas for future birthday dinners :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job, everything looks beautiful. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday! I'm also from Chicago, and around your age (26). I have really enjoyed reading your blog...your talent, creativity and motivation are inspiring!


    www.stellawishes.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy 25th, Alaina! So good to hear you had a fabulous time, and the table setting looks amazing! I hope I can embrace 25 (1 more year to go!) as lovingly and enthusiastically as you have! :)

    Cheers to a great year ahead!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay 25! I'm only a couple months ahead of you, and it's a great age! Beautiful job on the table and I hope today is just as fun as the party day :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. oooooh lala!! Happy birthday gorgeous girl!! What a treat of a party your organised!! Love it! Enjoy your day xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy birthday! So we're almost the same age (I'll be 25 in February). Everything looks great, love the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday, Alaina! Such a glamorous little party you had.

    And, it does make me a little depressed that you're only 25 :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like you had a fabulous birthday- wishing you a year of happiness and excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love-love-love the tabletop! Looks like you all had an amazingly glamorous time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Alaina,
    Happy Birthday.
    I love your little glass votive holders. They just glow. Can you tell us where you got them?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy birthday!

    Ever since I moved out of my studio into a larger apartment with my bf, I've been dying to throw more dinner parties. There is nothing better than good friends, great food and a fabulous table scape! Thanks for inspiring me to plan one in the near future! Your party looked amazing!

    www.anurbancottageblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy belated birthday! I am featuring this in my Friday Faves post tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is officially the cutest thing, I need to do something like this! Also, I just came to your blog from Jamie and I love it- I am obsessed with Chicago so I will probably live through you now :) great party, welcome to 25~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin