Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Bippity Boppity Boo: A Cinderella Story Part 2

Oops, I did it again! A flick of my wand and my living room is transformed once again for the changing seasons. (Catch up on the first magical transformation from last spring here.) Pillows, blankets, and pumpkins aside, the biggest change is the coffee table makeover I did over the weekend.

BEFORE: Nate and I bought this table on Craigslist three years ago for a mere $45. I loved it then. I hate it now. The overall size and shape - especially with the lower shelf (not shown here) - is perfect for our needs, but the finish was too red and it just didn't go with all of the white and espresso wood throughout the rest of our apartment. So, I called up my gal Bailey to borrow her electric sander (which I am now convinced I need to invest in), ran to Home Depot for some white paint, and got to work.

STEP 1: Using an electric sander and very course paper, I went over the entire table 2, 3, 4 times to eliminate the varnish, the stain, then whatever leftover marks remained. This was definitely the most difficult part mainly because it took so long. I was sanding for at least an hour, and the table isn't that big.

STEP 2: Clean off the excess dust, then sand the table once again with a very fine sanding paper to smooth out the wood. Once again, clean off all the dust, and look at that beautiful wood!

STEP 3: Using a water-based white paint, I painted a small strip of wood. Immediately after applying a coat to a small section, I took a dry rag and rubbed the paint into the wood, exposing the wood grain and lightening the overall color. Here you can see a section that had just been painted, and the section next to it that I had already rubbed in.

STEP 4: Eventually, I went over the entire table with two coats. With each coat, I used the dry cloth to rub the paint into the wood grain. Seeing the wood gives it more of a rustic feel, which is the look I wanted.

Very Halloween, no? I'll have to switch out the blacks and oranges for emerald greens and sparkles come Christmas time, but I love this for fall! As for the white coffee table, I am in loooove. It's so much more me than the icky red stain it had before. Thoughts?




Also, be sure to visit La Dolce Vita today where I am taking part in the 10 Things I Cannot Live Without series! Can you guess what any of them are before looking?

30 comments:

  1. Oh they both look so good. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table looks great! As does the arrangement on it. Curious: did you paint the underside of the table? I'm never sure if I should paint the parts that can't be readily seen to make a project look more finished or only worry about what people will notice.

    I also really like those flower pinwheel things. Did you make those or buy them? Is there a previous post about them somewhere in your archives?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just noticed the link to the flowers at the bottom... I hate when people ask questions without reading... Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. as usual it's fantastic Alaina, you know your home is one of my constant inspiration, the one I come time after time to check the details so anything you do will probably be right up to my alley!!
    Ill email you about the print! So happy!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Fabulous! Imazing how few little hcnages can make such a difference! BRAVO!)
    allglamthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Love the whitewashed version so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks wonderful! job well done! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looove my electric sander (birthday gift from the boy last spring). Makes projects go a million times faster. The whitewash look is definitely an improvement and I bet the whole room looks lighter now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the coffee table makeover. I've been dying for a faux fur throw. Can't decide between the West Elm or Pottery Parn version!

    Cara
    www.anurbancottageblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dang, Gina! Lookin' good! We should just start a powertool fund and keep sharing betwixt the two of us! I have been really contemplating a paint sprayer for my next purchase...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! You did an amazing job transforming with the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just came across your blog after reading your post on La Dolce Vita - which I loved. I now also love your blog! Gorgeous room makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, and am jealous because I am on the lookout for something similar! Such a great re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fantastic! As always. I'm especially loving your pillows. And the white pumpkin. And the new table. Oh god, I just love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! Great job!

    Loved your 10 things on La Dolce Vita! Now please book another trip to NY so we can hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Can't wait to see it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great!

    I just read your post at La Dolce Vita, which was fun. Weren't you planning a trip to Thailand or somewhere in southeast Asia for this year? I don't remember reading about it so just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great!
    Nothing like a festive, seasonal 'do.
    Cheers, Alcira

    thenerochronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job! Love it! We've been doing a lot of the 'white-washing' ( or robin's egg bluing) around our place too! It's amazing what a can of paint can do! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like your spring living room, but I really, reaally love your FALL living room!
    Love the cute pumpkins;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. First of all, the table looks amazing!! And thank you for including the step-by-step details and visuals:).

    I am also curious- Did you do the same process underneath?

    Also, I'd like to do this for my daughter's "desk" (really an old little wooden table). Would you think this would work well in other colors besides white- like a pastel?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great transformation - and LOVE the styling! (Fall/Halloween!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it! It looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alaina, the table looks fabulous! I love your sweet apartment :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So I just stumbled upon your blog, and well, I'm in LOVE!!! I'm in the process of a reno on our front living room, and was looking for ideas for gray walls... Your ideas, transformations and projects are awesome!! Just bought a vintage couch (with HUGE plans) in LA, and many more Craigslist & thrift store ideas to come. You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I popped over from La Dolce Vita, and I LOVE your blog! And this table :>) Great job!

    All hail mid west gals!

    cheers!
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks beautiful! Like a whole new table. Love your display on the tray, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks great...im all about white furniture..and this REALLY brightens up the living room :))))
    OXOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well done, the table in white looks much more expensive and chic than before.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You've amazed me again. Absolutely beautiful! Love your new pillows too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin