Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Black, White, and Read All Over

I moved one of the sapien bookshelves that had been in my office out into the living room. The fact that I've always liked the look of books in living spaces combined with my ADD for rearranging my own home made this an obvious choice. But my brightly colored books were too saturated for my neutral living room decor, so I made a bold - yet perhaps crazy - styling decision.

I decided to show only the books with black spines, and turn around all others so that their white or yellowed pages faced outward.

I added in a few accessories: a vintage camera and an antler, both of which I picked up from last year's Randolph Street Market, and black and white box from Jo Malone that I thought was pretty and decided to keep.

And voila! Neutral-colored bookshelves for my black, white, and grey living room. I know it seems silly not being able to see the names of the books but 1. I've read all of them already anyway so it's not often I find myself reaching for one and 2. the openness of these shelves make it very easy to flip a book around and see what's hiding.

Thoughts?

Note: My vertical spine shelves were from West Elm, but they no longer sell it. You can find a similar style at CB2 or Design Within Reach.

21 comments:

  1. this is an exceptionally creative idea, i LOVE how it turned out! i always love waiting to see what you do next, the thought and editing you put into your decisions cannot be taught! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really like this look. Even more so than with all the spines facing outward. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. unexpected but I like it, works in your living room very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I like the way it makes the black spines pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! And you could even change the color up every so often if you wanted to (and had enough books in similar colors)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bookshelf, and your whole apt. Just had a revelation- you should put on of those feaux-fireplaces (that look real) in the space behind your dining room where the tall mirror and scones are located....thoughts?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovee this idea and it turned out wonderfully in your living room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love doing this... turning books around is the BEST way to display in my opinion! Funny enough, the Twilight series are facing outward in my abode with pride as well! haha! I love this look, the styling is perfect... love the antler resting on top of the stacks....

    abodelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really LOVE it!!!

    And know what else I love? Your rug. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first thought was: I love it! My second thought was: Oh, no way anyone with a one year old can have that. :) Ah, the life of a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i LOVE the bookshelf! my finance and i have been eyeing the one at CB2 for a while now.. might have to put it on the registry! xoxo jcd :: enter to win my jewelry giveaway !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic idea! Your place is amazing! And I love the ceramic ottoman/drum thing. My grandmother had one in her last house. (Not an insult; my grandmother is an interior designer with great style)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, and such a great idea to turn them around so that they cohesively exist in your space. And the camera it's the perfect finishing touch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love a dash of the unexpected. i think it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. very interesting/beautiful. right out of a magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you! I would do the same thing. I also saw photos of an apt. where the books were covered in light brown paper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely adore sapien bookshelves!! And I love the books with their pages facing out! I've been considering doing that with my bookshelf to give it a more neutral look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this idea! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin