Wednesday, April 7, 2010

LCY Personal Project: The Never-ending (makeover) Story Ends!

I know, I know. This is the neverending story. But I THINK we've just about got it. My mom and I that is. Her living room has been a work in progress for the past two years - and I've even posted about it here, here, here, and here. Well, now it's April 2010, and I am proud to say when I walk into the house, it finally feels like her. And more importantly, it feels finished!

Let's start at the beginning...
(Sorry for those of you who have seen these first images before.)

This first image (above) was the living room circa January 2009. I had just moved back home from DC, and this was the way the room had looked for the past eight years or so. Topiaries and all. To better explain, the couch in the foreground was approximately three feet off the wall behind it, creating a pathway to the back of the house. And that is a lantern on an end table in the center foreground. You might recognize the oversized white chair on the left. My puppies love it in its new place. (If you're wondering why this photo looks weird, it's because it is several photos merged together.)

(above) Fast forward a few months after I'd moved back in. It was spring and time for change. The oversized chair was too oversized for the space so it moved upstairs to my old bedroom. After seeing what I call the "interview style" seating arrangement time and time again (two couches or a couch and two chairs facing one another directly), I convinced my mom to give a try. We also moved her Colette bench that had been at the foot of her bed to the far right wall, creating more seating and eliminating the walkway that we really didn't need.

(above) Fast forward again. Fall 2009, as made evident by the pumpkins. Big changes happening. You can read about the fireplace mantel makeover and the new art on the walls here, the long-overdue love-seat reupholstering here, and a more detailed analysis of it all here. (Told you this has been a lonnng process.) A few new pillowcases and lampshades, and it seemed things were peachy.

But something was missing...

Enter the perfect rug. There hadn't been any rugs in the house for years because my childhood dog mistook them for grass. But Clancy has not been with us for a few years now, and it was time to fill in the room's missing link. So, I want to thank Jill Rosenwald for designing such a beauty, CSN Rugs for selling it at a more affordable rate, and Erin Gates for introducing it to me!

Add a dash of blue hydrangeas and some pink & white tulips.
Picture perfect for spring 2010, yes?

Love this vignette...

...and this vignette! The hourglass and vase are both from Pottery Barn. We snatched those when we attended the new Chicago store opening.

The painting that had been on the back wall prior to this makeover was mine so it came with me when I moved out. You may recognize it's now hanging in my home office's art gallery. In order to the fill the void, we called on our favorite photographer, Alicia Bock. This is 'Along the Seine' on an 18x18" canvas. A picture of Paris and the color palette fit perfectly. How could it not work?

That's all folks!

Thoughts?

24 comments:

  1. It was fun to see how your decorating has changed over time. It's absoulutely perfect and gorgeous the way it is right now! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rug is the perfect finishing touch that your room needed. I would love that rug in yellow for my great room. Your room looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a great job. The room turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet daughter you are to fluff your momma up like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job! I love that rug- it makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The room looks beautiful. Happy for your mom - looks like she has made some great changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! Love what you did with the furniture and that rug is perfect, just pulls it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks fantastic Alaina! I love the rug, great choice, going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must say, the rug really pulled it all together. What a difference, it look amazing and give the place an instant update. Im doing my living room light gray and that rug is quite inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks more beauteous every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely the right rug! It made all the difference. The room is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! The rug really pulls it all together, and the bench area is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to everyone for all your kind comments. It was good to make the room my own - I love walking into it. I hesitated about the rug but Alaina assured me it was the perfect choice. A special thanks to my lovely daughter and one of my best friends Alaina.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks really good! It definitely needed that rug! It just pulled things together perfectly. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The room looks great. I especially love the carpet and the bench/side table/picture combo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow what a difference the white mantle makes! also agree...that rug is to die for...great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! That fireplace is amazing now! (Oh and I just have to say I love your Team Jacob picture!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Makovers!
    I love befor & after pics!!! want to see more;)
    This room look pretty, i love this rug!

    greetings from Germany...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the room and love love love the rug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, what a gorgeous room!! You did such a great job transforming this space. I love your attention to detail; the hourglass and vase from PB are my fav!

    Your mom is so lucky to have such a talented designer for a daughter! Thanks for sharing this little journey with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely room, and that rug is just fabulous! Curious though ~ what color is that rug in?

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks amazing! The rug is my favorite element!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks everyone! So you know, the rug is grey, not purple, although it definitely looks purple-ish in this photo. My mom loves water colors so we tried to stick with a blue and grey palette with touches of green.

    Thanks, again!

    Alaina

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved seeing the transition! The finished product looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin