Friday, August 19, 2011

LCY Listens: Ben Howard (Oh, and I'm going hipster on all of you and getting myself a turntable.)

Meet Ben Howard. He's a 23-year-old singer-songwriter out of England. My sister and musical sensei just introduced me to him.

His first album, Every Kingdom, still isn't out yet, but a few tracks have been released on YouTube, including his first single, "Old Pine." I've been listening to it on repeat the past few days and cannot get enough of his voice, the string accompaniment, and if we're being honest - that shaggy hair and smirk. Not to mention the video has me wanting to catch the next flight to Ireland where I can frolic merrily along the open coastline roads. While listening to this song. Oh, also, the 3:20 mark is the best.


Thanks, David, for sending me this tune:

And another good one I found...

And here are some preview clips from the entire album:

While I was on his site looking for where to pre-order the iTunes album, I saw an 12-in vinyl record is for sale. Which reminded me of this scene in Crazy Stupid Love where Ryan Gosling brings Emma Stone back to his place and he puts on a record. My heart melted. I loved it. I wanted it! So after a quick Google search, I found this beauty over at Urban Outfitters. Apparently Crosley is one of the best when it comes to turntables, and the vintage design is oh-so cute! And UO sells quite a few of my favorite albums in 12-in vinyl format. Imagine Florence or Mumford coming out of the scraggly sound of a turntable. Beautyful... I think this is a worthwhile investment piece, perfect for parties, dinners, or lounging around listening to your favorite tunes.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Catch up on all of LCY Listens here!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE the music find and am now dying for a record player too! I love the idea of playing records of modern bands/singers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Thanks so much for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, and read it everyday. But I have to say I miss your fashion vs. furnishings posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, his voice is just fantastic! Thanks for posting this! I love the feeling of finding these unknown singers and bands -- it's like hidden treasure x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm such a fan of Ben Howard! I discovered him a while back and am obsessed with his song Keep Your Head Up! But love them all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin