Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Look Ma, I'm an editor!

Hitting newsstands this week is the September/October issue of Chicago Home and Garden Magazine, the shelter-focused sister publication of Chicago Magazine. This is a very exciting moment for me because... drumroll please...

...yours truly has a byline on page 52! I was so honored when Jan Parr, the magazine's editor-in-chief, asked if I'd contribute as a market editor for their color issue. Umm... would I?! Where do I sign?

So I spent some time calling and interviewing Chicago designers about the color trends they'd been using in their work. I ended up focusing on a room by Tony Stavish, whose palette consisted of cool greys accented by warm yellows and reds.

Then I searched the Chicago market for furniture, textiles and accent pieces that would work in a bedroom with the same colors.

 I did the same thing with a navy, white, and gold room designed by Sarah Back.

I especially loved the luxurious pieces I pulled for this spread: gilded antlers from Branca, a linen sofa from Jayson Home and Garden, and a velvet Jonathan Adler bed... mmm mmm good.

Apparently my editors loved it also since it was the focus on the table of contents page! Notice the huge "52?" That's my story!

The third spread was based on a colorful room by designer Deb Reinhart. She used fun, young colors - lime, fuschia, and teal - and transformed them into a sophisticated bedroom haven for the Glencoe Show House this past season. It was definitely a challenge pulling product in these colors that had a more traditional yet rustic style, but I'm really pleased with how it came out.


So that's that. Three and a half years of journalism school and two years of blogging, and I can officially add Editor to my LinkedIn profile. : )

But in all seriousness, I've said it once and I'll say it again, I am so grateful to have had this wonderful opportunity and all the other experiences that have come my way since starting Live Creating Yourself. I couldn't have done it without all of your support. Thank you for coming back day after day and making LCY a part of your world. I hope I continue to improve and inspire.

And if you're in Chicago, be sure to pick up a copy or order an electronic copy here!

36 comments:

  1. Congrats to you! I will definitely pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, well done! that's one for the bucket list! Looks fantastic.

    www.mrsrogero.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! It looks amazing.... In the words of a person we both know... "I always knew she'd be published"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on this amazing published piece! I'll have to pick a copy soon, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO AMAZING!!!!!!! I need to go grab a copy!!!!! When can you help me with my place?!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so crazy exciting!! my copy came in the mail yesterday - can't wait to read your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! That is SO exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful spread! congratulations! job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! The pages look fantastic - great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow congratulations!! The article turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is SO awesome! great job and i can't wait to see what the future holds for LCY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wouldn't miss it for the world! I'm in love with this blog! Congratulations on such a huge honor!

    www.mimosasnthemorning.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is SOO exciting! Congratulations, Alaina; you definitely deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! That is fantastic:) I hope to reach the same level of success one day!! Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so so excited!! congrats Alaina!! so well deserved!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats Alaina! You should be soo proud... your spread is fantastic! I am in love with that navy and gold room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! You deserve it. I hope it feels as good as it sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow congratulations Alaina!!! So so well deserved. My issue just came in the mail today, can't wait to check out!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very exciting! Congrats Alaina :) Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cause [you're] a rockstar. Yeah baby [you're] a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow- it looks like a great piece. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats, Alaina! So very awesome and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So rocking Bad Ass! You CONTINUALLY! give me the drive to keep on keeping on when you share your stories like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun! Congrats dear. Hope you get more opportunities like this in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So exciting- Congratulations. I saw your name in the magazine and was wondering if it is indeed you :) I have also been featured in this issue so I share some of the excitement.

    Congratulations again Alaina on your continued success!

    ~Edyta
    http://edytaandco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin