Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Room that Stickers Built

Did any of you see this gorgeous bedroom in the September Elle Decor? It was my favorite room in the issue for a number of reasons: the paneled shudders on the windows, the oversized headboard, and the neon yellow nightstand to name a few. But it was mainly the intricate, feminine wallpaper that caught my eye. Or so I thought.

Imagine my surprise when I began reading and learned... wallpaper it is not! Trickery! Madness! What?! What could it possibly be?! Turns out twenty-five-year-old creative maven Payton Cosell Turner used thousands of stickers to create intricate the damask pattern.

Yes. Stickers. Like the kind your teachers would stick at the top of a spelling test. Stickers of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Everything from pizza slices to pooches, fishing vests and sparkly monster trucks join together to create her brilliant and beautiful designs.

She created her first sticker wallpaper project for her senior thesis at the Maryland Institute College of Art, and apparently a designer in New York City saw it and commissioned another project in the Greenwich Village home. Now Payton has done installations for several people's homes across the country, and has started her own wallpaper line, Flat Vernacular. Talk about an inspiring lady!

Some of my favorite wallpaper designs from Flat Vernacular are Eyelets, Flora, and Dandelion Creatures.

12 comments:

  1. Wow that's really amazing…I would never have believed that the stickers she used could create such a cool pattern! Very cool discovery :)

    Ann Marie
    http://www.believewishes.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool ~ I love finding true original ideas ~ great discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this article. My inner child was dazzled by these stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is freaking amazing!!! I can't believe that it's stickers, and just look at the work that has gone into that!

    Jaw dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This amazing! I was floored! What a great and creative idea! (So much for the sticker collecting I did in my youth, if only I had been so creative!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. these rooms are super fun! thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! I'd see the first image, but none of the detail ones or her additional designs. Truly unbelievable!! That's some serious talent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing this room in Elle Decor but I never would have guessed the wallpaper was actually just stickers! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg this is super cool. I want to be this girl. If only I kept all of those Lisa Frank stickers from when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so great! It makes me so happy to read students creating something and succeeding, so great of you to share too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way! This is insane! I´ve never seen anything like that before, it´s such an original and fun idea! Plus it looks so fabulous!

    xx Ivana
    Style in the City

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin