Friday, November 4, 2011

words worth reading

a few of my favorite excerpts from Bossypants by Tina Fey:

“You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.”

“MAKE STATEMENTS also applies to us women: Speak in statements instead of apologetic questions. No one wants to go to a doctor who says, “I’m going to be your surgeon? I’m here to talk to you about your procedure? I was first in my class at Johns Hopkins, so?” Make statements, with your actions and your voice.”

“So, my unsolicited advice to women in the workplace is this. When faced with sexism, or ageism, or lookism, or even really aggressive Buddhism, ask yourself the following question: “Is this person in between me and what I want to do?” If the answer is no, ignore it and move on. Your energy is better used doing your work and outpacing people that way. Then, when you’re in charge, don’t hire the people who were jerky to you.”

“But I think the first real change in women’s body image came when JLo turned it butt-style. That was the first time that having a large-scale situation in the back was part of mainstream American beauty. Girls wanted butts now. Men were free to admit that they had always enjoyed them. And then, what felt like moments later, boom—Beyoncé brought the leg meat. A back porch and thick muscular legs were now widely admired. And from that day forward, women embraced their diversity and realized that all shapes and sizes are beautiful. Ah ha ha. No. I’m totally messing with you. All Beyonce and JLo have done is add to the laundry list of attributes women must have to qualify as beautiful. Now every girl is expected to have Caucasian blue eyes, full Spanish lips, a classic button nose, hairless Asian skin with a California tan, a Jamaican dance hall ass, long Swedish legs, small Japanese feet, the abs of a lesbian gym owner, the hips of a nine-year-old boy, the arms of Michelle Obama, and doll tits. The person closest to actually achieving this look is Kim Kardashian, who, as we know, was made by Russian scientists to sabotage our athletes.”

For your entertainment.

Happy Weekend!

21 comments:

  1. I really want to read this. I'm purchasing now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I just felt down due to a crap conversation. I cared about something, asked a question, and was told that my problem didn't matter because the person had a million other things to do. Ouch.

    But she doesn't stand between me and what I want to do.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this book and couldn't put it down. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was such great advice! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindy Kaling's new book is set to arrive on my doorstep this afternoon. Looks like I may need to get this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Love it all! Especially the body one... Got Bossypants for my birthday and am in the process of reading it when I find time. So funny and real.

    <3 your blog! Been following for a while now.

    - Pretty Little Things

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been on my To Read list for a while now - mist make it happen ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book so much, she is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read this yet--but this last quote is hilarious. Thanks for posting--I think I must hit amazon up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great read! Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love Tina Fey. I really must read her book! I'm always a bit jealous when I see others reading it on the subway. I guess this is why they seem so involved in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahahaha, so many good lines from that book! The part about breastfeeding was hilarious. I may have to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. shes alwasy so funny
    take a look at my blog, tell me if you like it :)
    inveiglefair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got Mindy Kaling's new book in the mail but, after reading the goodies in this post, it looks like I may have to pick up this one as well. Thanks for sharing! XO*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhhhh my gosh I am so loving that bit about the perfect woman. New. Favorite. Quote. Ever!

    Kristina Gulino
    Something 2 Write About

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh this is so great. think i'll have to pick up this book. all the snippets i've read of it on various blogs i simply adore. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. New reader!!! I absolutely ADORED this book. She is so accurate in her depictions of the ridiculous nature of life, especially from a female perspective. I loved her accounts of her job searching experiences, especially sharing an interview suit with her drunken roommate. :)

    Love your blog and ideas, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin