Thursday, January 19, 2012

"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany." // Thoughts on Men's Style Part Three

Behold, a man's apartment. Where so little can say so much. I don't think I've ever walked into a straight guy's place and thought, "Wow! He knows what he's doing." My rating of his home is normally based on cleanliness and whether he took to the time to hang something - anything at all - on the walls. If both of those check out, I'd say he's doing ok.

But what baffles me about a guy's place - much like men's fashion - is that you can accomplish so much with so little. Colors don't have to be outrageous. Textiles and furniture - like a classic button-down shirt - can be simple and unfussy. It's amazing what a mix of whites, greys, and black can do, sprinkled with navy, green, perhaps a punch of red or orange. Yet somehow, in my experience, men have a tendency to find the most awful, oversized, overstuffed, gaudy furniture there is. And furniture sets. What is it with men and furniture sets? Dressers that match nightstands that match headboards. Coffee tables that match end tables that match TV stands. My hope for men everywhere: stop buying furniture in sets! I don't care if it's easier. Unless you want your wife or girlfriend to sell it sooner rather than later, take the extra time to mix and match. It'll do wonders and save you money in the long-run.

But enough of my complaining, let's take a look at one guy who seems to have it all figured out (probably because he's Seattle-based interior designer, Brian Paquette). He managed to pack so much cool into 200 square feet of space, as seen in the latest issue of Rue.

Tips we can all learn from Brian:
Sports memorabilia: Unless you have some super sweet autographed jersey (which on occasion is acceptable so long as it's properly framed), just go vintage. It's easy to find, affordable, and looks oh-so much better than Jordan's Wings poster. In fact, let me just state for the record, nothing should be Scotch-taped or pinned to a wall. Anywhere. Ever.

Bed: White sheets and a grey, brown, or navy duvet. Avoid pattern. Stripes are the exception. Easy. Done. And if you can afford it, maybe invest in a headboard. Even if it's kind of ugly, it shows effort, and women like effort.

Bathroom: Go to West Elm and buy a nice looking bathmat and a coordinating hand towel. I'd recommend Target, but there are too many scary options available there that could trick you into messing this one up. Maybe hang something on the wall for bonus points. Oh, and do everyone a favor, and stick a nice scented candle in there while you're at it.

Kitchen: I actually have very low standards when it comes to a man and what his kitchen looks like, so long as it's clean. But I do advise having a set of 4-8 plain white plates and bowls, and glassware (including wine glasses). Throw out the plastic mugs complete with team logo that you got for free at a football game. Sadly, college has come and gone.

And one last tip from me to men everywhere:
The Couch: Please, please find the will to avoid living room furniture that reclines. Pretend we live in a world where La-Z-Boy doesn't exist. Please.

18 comments:

  1. Wholeheartedly concur on every level! Loved this post, the featured apartment and the nod to Anchor Man. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore West Elm, and am dying for one of their shower curtains and bath mats, but my husband won't allow it! Craziness. Maybe this is the proof I need that it's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilariously true! I love your men's style posts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I so wish every man everywhere could read this. Luckily I got creative reign when it came to decorating our apartment. yt's old apartment was a scary scary place that had a plastic dining room table. i cringe just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian had a great eye. His apartment definitely has that cool sophistication. It's great seeing that much style in such a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this apartment and I can't believe what he did with such a small space. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really liked that masculine apt. My husband and I have the "recliner argument" quite frequently. He begs for a recliner--so far I'm winning because we have zero in this house, but it's only a matter of time. I put him off for now by saying "Someday when we have a basement..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this! Made me giggle and it's all so true. It's amazing how much that Mr. Paquette was able to pack into that tiny space and still make it look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I love the part about going to west elm versus target for the towels/bath mat -dead on.

    As for La-Z-Boy, I 100% agree. I cannot tell you how many times my husband has mentioned going there to get a recliner - he loves our furniture (that is 100% La-Z-Boy free) but he can't get over the idea of some awful recliner from that frightening place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm seriously impressed. One more tip: organize your closet! I can't tell you how many guys I've seen with terrible, scary closets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This should be required reading for men everywhere. They should teach them something like this in college! Especially about throwing out the tacky plastic logo cups. West Elm is a perfect place for guys to shop, you really can't go wrong in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I. heart. this. post. It is SO scary true!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this. I just sent it to my boyfriend for inspiration.

    What are your thoughts on mis-matched nightstands? What do you suggest using if you found a cool vintage nightstand that is one of a kind?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am said Boyfriend, and I'm inspired... and wearing a tie clip...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Men are weird creature. But I can't live without my man. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. <3<3<3 THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE SHOUT-OUT! IT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME! -BP

    ReplyDelete
  17. This apartment looks pretty neat for a guy. I think he is one of those few who really takes time to clean up their place and makes effort to put things in order.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin