Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Thoughts on Men's Fashion: part deux

Considering 97% of my readers are female, I was floored by the positive response to the post on men's fashion I wrote a couple weeks ago. Maybe it was the title, "Always dress like you're going to run into your ex" that people liked. Maybe it was the abundance of eye candy. Maybe it was the glimmer of hope that your husbands, boyfriends, and brothers could and would one day buy a cowl-neck sweater or a cardigan instead of the navy crewneck from Costco. Either way, I'm taking another stab at it! You only have yourselves to thank (or blame).

Have any of you seen Friends with Benefits? My roommate and I watched it a few days ago, and despite the plethora of scenes with a shirtless and toned Timberlake, I was more drawn to the scenes when he was fully clothed running around Manhattan with his obnoxiously cool co-star. And it all comes down to one little accessory. The tie clip. The man wears one in almost every scene, and I looooove a good tie clip.


It really wasn't much of a surprise since his character was the new art director of GQ, and you can't open an issue of that magazine without seeing at least one male celeb sporting the tiny accessory.

You can literally put a guy in a white shirt and any color tie, add a tie clip and bam. He is automatically a fashionable dude. It's like Hogwarts magic that something so small can make such a big impact.

Or you can take an already stylish gent who knows to pair his plaid shirt with a herringbone sportcoat, adds a textured tie and a sterling silver clip, and then we're reeeeally talking. But that takes time. Baby steps. For now, let's just start by getting the men in your life a clip. After all, Valentine's Day is coming up! On second thought, you might want to throw something lacy into that gift box, as well...

28 comments:

  1. Oh I loved JT in Friend's with Benefits, and I couldn't agree more. When he was dressed, he was looking sharp. I'm officially buying the BF a clip whether he likes it or not. And yes, I love the eye candy.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched that movie this weekend & like you I was more impressed with the styling (both JT & Mila). I never even realized that something as simple as a tie clip could pull a look together- but you have me convinced!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta agree. that is some kind of magic going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent observation and I completely agree. Besides the fact that I'm obsessed with JT and his character in FWB, I love this look for guys. Smart tip. Will pass on to all of my guy friends and brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh tie clips are fabulous! And it doesn't hurt that these guys are lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He did look so good in that movie! I thought Ashton Kutcher looked good in No Strings Attached- however his was way more casual. And, lets face it: he is no JT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! SUCH eye candy and such a good gift idea. Your writing is really wonderful my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sexy.
    and i live by the mantra. or the girl you hated in high school-or college. makes me actually attempt my hair some days lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this movie! Not only was it a good chick flick (which I can't get enough of), but the styling was perfection. She runs around making a t-shirt appropriate for work and he makes me wish my bf was wearing a jacket and tie to work everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. heyyyyy boys. Love the tie clip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd never thought about tie clips, but I think my honey needs one asap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes maam...I love a good tie clip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool! I never ever thought about a tie clip before-I'm so clueless on men's fashion! But it does add a totally put together polish in a subtle way. I love the gray flannel tie with the gingham shirt and raincoat! Too good. A flannel tie, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pics of the GQ Men! I often wish my BF would dress like some of these men. Slowly, but surely, he's coming around. I like that you do these posts because I never really dig into mens fashion too much, but it can be so chic and inspire me to wears something in homage to menswear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa. Such a swooney post. The clothes were great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First I have to get my husband to wear a tie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is it a huge tragedy that I don't think I've EVER seen a guy wear a tie clip? And I'm frequently around men in suits. I guess it's more reason to get up to Manhattan...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jack, Justin, Ed and Zac all in ONE post. Spoilt.com

    (P.S. Totally noticed Justin's fashion in Friends With Benefits, which I really enjoyed!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm LOVING that herringbone jacket in the last picture..it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know what's funny, Alaina? I never much cared for tie clips, and I though they seemed dorky and unnecessary (even though I LOVE me some dorks) but this post alone has converted me.

    I thought JT was dressed so well in FWB but didn't even notice the clips. I think I was too distracted by Mila.

    Zac looks so stellar in those shots. I wonder if my love, RG, wears them? ::runs to Google::

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, you are so right! What a great accessory and Valentine's Day gift.

    MyersMaison.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You nailed this! One little accessory that pulls the entire look together! I need to invest in one of these for my boyfriend!

    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Um hello gorgeous spread of photos! haha I am totally getting my husband a skinny tie and tie clip for his upcoming birthday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your comment about a tie clip brought me back to my sister and I buying my father a tie clip with our birthstones on it - my dad has since passed away and the tie clip now belongs to my nephew. Thanks for the sweet memory! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Seriously! Please keep doing these posts every so often. I'm really liking them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just watched this movie last night and I, surprisingly, loved it!

    And I agree, Justin's dress in this movie was awesome, although I tend to love his style in the real world too. thanks for another post with lots of beautiful well dressed men!

    ReplyDelete
  27. from my opinion, coming from a male is i do like the combo. traditional ways in dressing is great and it makes you feel great, but when i chap just puts on a tie & clip, shirt and suit it doesn't automatically make him cool. it's the way you wear it and hold yourself (manners, character ect). it's like the bowtie effect, i hate it when a man puts on a bowtie and automatically thinks he's the best dressed at a party. it's about the bigger picture.

    great post

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin