Friday, May 27, 2011

"Now, just imagine you're surrounded by tiny little seahorses."

Over the past year, I've worked on several projects that have asked for a headshot. My reaction was to send in photos of myself with other people's faces and limbs cropped out of the frame. Real profesh, Alaina. So, I figured it was about time to get myself a legit photo. I've been blogging for two years. It was time.

Enter Maia Harms, the trifecta of talent: one part photographer, one part blogger, one part DIY fantastico. Before moving to LA this month, she came over (the week of her wedding, mind you) to shoot my apartment and me. Sidenote: I'm not super comfortable with having my picture taken. A recent study indicates 97% of my Facebook photos feature me with a cocktail in hand. Apparently that's the only time I allow anyone to snap my photo. Classy.

So yea... needless to say I was decently awkward.

And I was 98% convinced I was going to look something like this:
"Now, just imagine you're weightless, in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by tiny little seahorses.... [Takes photo.] That was the one. I think that's gonna come out really nice." 
- Napoleon Dynamite

Somehow, between the constant laughter, stiff hand placement, and general awkwardness, the talented Maia Harms was able to pull off a few shots of me looking like a normal human being.


And now they're on the blog (top right sidebar and About Alaina page). Look at that! 

Too legit to quit now.

But that's not all from the Maia/Alaina collaboration. I redesigned her blog, Little Dwell. See below.


...as well as some other blogs you may know! They're all awesome. I encourage you to check them out.



Love of Fair

So that's that. I've been a busy bee. And I am so looking forward to this three-day weekend! I'm sure I'll come out of it with a few cocktail-donning photos to post on the ole' FB.

Have a good one, all!

The end.

21 comments:

  1. I loved this! you look gorgeous!
    I hate pictures of me tooo!
    but those are brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful, as do all of your blog redesigns!

    I think the second photo is my favorite, but they're all very flattering. And I like the top you're wearing--very pretty.

    I'm fairly sure I would win the award for the most awkward photography "model." Yup, ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fantastic. Love your professional shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous!!!! I'm just about to do this too and it makes me so nervous but seeing how beautifully yours turned out is inspiring. Love the look of all of these blogs- you're so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new pictures are gorgeous! You look just beautious. And I cannot wait to see your apartment pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like these, you look gorgeous Alaiana! and love your work you know it already :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful!

    And the blogs also look fantastic. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos came great! I think the personal photo is a great touch. Thanks again for all your help these last few weeks. Your so talented and you were so great to work with thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pics- love your floral top! Yay for my blog redesign- all of these other ones came out fab too :)

    Happy long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those all look fantastic! And of course you looked like a lovely human being - that's the benefit of having a pro. ;) Love the top you're wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2 things, ready? 1) you look stunning. 2) your blog makeovers are also stunning. when i have a little extra $ for it...i'm coming to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look fab! And I love your blog makeovers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ch ch ch ch ch ch check you OUT missy! Looking fab. Great graphics work on those blogs as well - loving the bunting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a cutie! Love those pics. Good job for getting em done. Great blog redesigns as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I noticed you changed your twitter pic ;) Love them all, they are gorgeous! And I love your work Alaina, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pics turned out great!!! You look beautiful. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the pictures turned out great. you need to give yourself a little more credit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The photos are great! I know what you mean, I procrastinated for ages over my blog photo...and ended up with a family one. Nice. Not.
    Nice work on the blog redesigns too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin