Wednesday, May 11, 2011

So I met Jenna Lyons.



Pause for shock.


Breathe.


And continue...


And she is just as chic and friendly and beautiful in person as I imagined her to be. While I stood there nervously overheating and grinning like an idiot, a professional and poised Ms. Lyons kept her cool, kindly chatting with us bloggers and other fashionable guests at the Michigan Avenue J.Crew menswear party last night.

Ms. Lyons donned a tailored, navy menswear-inspired suit that was understated yet sexy, and she accented the simple silhouette with rock-star studded heels. 

The event - complete with whiskey and scotch for the fellas and chardonnay for me - highlighted J.Crew's menswear collection, of which we all know I'm a fan. If I could, I'd dress the world in J.Crew - starting with the men - and what a beautiful world that would be. It's no secret the brand is a favorite of mine. There is enough diversity in their apparel that you could come out of the store looking uber-prep, colorful and trendy, tailored and sophisticated, feminine and flirty (or plaid and rugged), or quirky hipster. Ok, so they're lacking a bit of the grunge apparel, but would anyone really miss that? No. I didn't think so.

What made the night even better was getting to spend time with other stylish Chicago bloggers. From the left is Danielle of Breakfast at Toast, me, Taylor of Curly in the City, and Sarah of Where the Sidewalk Begins. And surprise surprise! We had a fantastic navy and coral theme going on. Shocking I tell ya. Quite shocking.

As I'm sure you could have guessed, everyone in attendance was dressed to the nines in their J.Crew apparel. A bevy of thick-rimmed glasses, tailored blazers, plaid shirts, and rolled cuffs danced around the room, exchanging business cards and witty banter, politely obliging to pose for photos as I tried to focus the lens without spilling my wine (with the latter, I found myself unsuccessful). It was loverly.

 And I couldn't end the evening without one of my favorite shoe shots. After all, they're so beautiful and far too frequently unphotographed.

At the end of the day, I still cannot believe I was able to meet yet another personal idol. Jenna Lyons is a great talent and inspiring woman, and I can't wait to see what she does next. 

Oh - and if you've been on the fence about starting a blog, do it. Now. Who knows where it will lead you?

Click here to view more photos of last night's event at J.Crew.

23 comments:

  1. wow what a fabulous evening! you all look gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad, I missed this!!!! Looks like a perfect evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah what a great evening! you ladies look great! cant wait until Jcrew properly ships to the UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG too much fun! im really sad i missed this event, so glad you took lots of photos tho. xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. J. Crew, Wine & Jenna Lyons?! Amazing, so fun and you girls all look so chic! You got invited because of the blog?? Would love to hear the details on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah! looks crazy fun! so sad i couldn't make it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow!! Jenna Lyons? So exciting. Looks like an amazing night! You ladies all look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. J. Crew makes the world a better place :)
    So jealous you were able to meet the fabulous Ms. Lyons! Although you and the other ladies looked just as chic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this post! I love how effortlessly chic everyone looks! I love how hopeful it is - taking risks, and those risks paying off! "Oh - and if you've been on the fence about starting a blog, do it. Now."

    Thanks for the shot of confidence today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like so much fun!

    - Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE!!!!!!! Had a blast with you last night...camera date soon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing!!! I RSVP'd to the event and had to miss it for stupid work! Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. Em. Gee. So awesome. Looks like it was an absolute blast. Did you ask her if she'll take you to Italy next year on one of her fabric/shoe mill visits????

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahh how amazing! i hope she comes to Boston! Love your look and those red/blue flats are adorbs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just cracked up big time reading this in Starbucks - so funny! (I totally always spill my wine and generally look silly at events when I really need to be looking swish - so I can relate!)

    You, and the rest of the crew who went along, all look super chic and now I have serious cravings for some JCrew shopping. Lucky they've just started stocking on Mr. Porter....!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting! Happy to have seen so many pics from the event. Surely, a fabulous time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so lovely, you all look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So mad I was in IOWA, and could not come. NOT COOL.

    Love Jenna's Valentino's, never mad about those.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Kudos to you for not fainting at the feet of j.lyons -- I would not have been as poised. Looked like a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  20. everyone looks so nice! Loved the shoe shot :) I hope wearing heels to the Blogfest event i'm going to next wk isnt going to be a problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG LOVE!!
    I'm totally with you on the dressing the world's men in J.Crew - wouldn't that just be fabulous...
    Everyone looks flippin' amazing and I love how you guys unknowingly color coordinated :) Jenna is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cool you got to meet Jenna Lyons, looks like a great time. Just found your blog while searching for something and I do like, am also a fan of your prints

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin