Wednesday, May 18, 2011

White Done Right

Plain white walls can often times make a room feel bare or unfinished, like you haven't gotten around to painting yet. But the white rooms above feel rich, layered, and complete. In addition to the eye-catching furniture pieces and bursts of color throughout the spaces, what really makes the walls stand out are the architectural details. Wood paneling, cove moldings, arched doorways, high ceilings, and oversized windows add interest to what could seem like bare walls. The rooms are bright and airy, and the items in the room really stand out against the blank canvas. My recommendation to those looking to try a white room: choose the room that offers the best architectural interest. Perhaps the ugly wood-paneled den that could use a face lift or the living room with the bay windows.

Obviously, us apartment-dwellers and most anyone living in a home built in the 70s or later might be a little skim on the architectural accents. If that's the case, and you really want an all-white room, it seems that a single oversized piece of art is the way to go. The large scale of it will add drama and give the impressive sense of being in an art gallery versus a boxy high-rise apartment.

Do any of you have white walls? Do you feel like the room is unfinished or do you like the clean, bright look of it?

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

13 comments:

  1. These rooms are amazing, but you definitely have a point about apartment dwellers. I like the idea of incorporating a bright piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love love the white walls. personally ive never been able to have just white at any of my places, but these images always inspire me to try one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos! As a renter myself, I live with white walls and it's so frustrating! Colorful accents such as furniture, pillows and drapes along with colorful wall art seem to be the best trick. I can't wait for the day that I own my own place and can just paint away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. White rooms make me happy! Especially white rooms with a disco ball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all white rooms. My new place has white walls in every single room. I just moved two weeks ago and am working on the place but so far I love all the white. The first room is a favorite in my inspiration folder!!

    xxLily
    goldandgray.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these homes - especially the more rustic ones. If only I could make my new home look half as great as these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely an example of "white done right". Love these images. We have lots of white walls---mostly because we are renting (and lazy because we don't want to have to paint them back). : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the ladies LOVE the white rooms and how about the white sectional, isn't it gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I'm a colour kinda guy, but I have to say that grey sofa and white wall combo is doing it for more big time! Hope you had a smashing time in San Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so right! If I could do it again, I would paint my whole house white!! love:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these white rooms! But, in my condo I think it would come off as looking unfinished. But, maybe i just can't picture it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where is the first photo from? I want to know where that sectional is from! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin