Monday, October 10, 2011

LCY Decorates: My Mom's Living Room Before/After

I don't even know how long ago I teased you all with a before/after photo of the dining room at my mom's new house. And then I completely forgot to share the rest! So, over the next week or so I'll show you before and after images of the redesign my mom and I worked on at her new place. I apologize for how teensy the original before picture is - I had to pull it off a real estate web site. But you get the gist of what we were originally working with... every room felt uncomfortably reminiscent of retirement home decor. You know - a collection of furniture from decades ago never refinished or discarded. A lot of heavy woods and floral patterns. It wasn't exactly the look my mom wanted.

BEFORE

AFTER
Out went the teal paint, in came the grey. Out went the worn-in carpets, and hardwood floors were installed. Out went the floral couches and in its place came my mom's lovely living room furniture. We also switched out the sconces on the one wall and replaced them with Circa Lighting's Ruhlmann sconce (yes - the very same that has been seen in Serena Van Der Wooden's bedroom). New linen window treatments and voila! A pretty, airy, and refreshed living space! Tres jolie!

31 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful result! I love how sophisticated but still cozy it feels. The grays and white color palette is wonderful - well done!

    xo Allison
    Spicer + Bank
    www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how i love grey walls. the 'afters' look amazing - y'all did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job! The room looks so light and airy...it's beautiful!

    LrnM Design

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have the grey trellis rug in my living room, and it's amazing. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented. As always...you did an AMAZING job. The room looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alaina, this is amazing!!! Beautiful makeover. I adore that little loveseat. Such a pretty, unique shape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a really beautiful space. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a transformation! Nice work! Love the metal side table. I've been on the lookout for something similar myself. Can you share where you got it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really looks amazing! Very serene and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful and elegant room! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful - just the look I'm working toward in my living room. Could you spill the paint color and the source of the trellis rug?
    Thanks!
    h

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is incredible... such a beautiful makeover and what stunning shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow love it! what a change! Now looks so bright and calm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you did to the room. It looks so much brighter and the grey is perfect.

    fashiontruffles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alaina its beautiful, you did a fabulous work! well done! it has all the elements I love about your style

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a fantastic transformation. My favorite is the rug!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done! It looks amazing!

    www.mrsrogero.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning! So elegant, a wonderful before and after.

    Suzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it Alaina! Looks fantastic :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is gorgeous! What a fantastic job!

    www.chevronsandeclairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. SO GOOD!! SO SO SO SO GOOD! What an awesome transformation you did!

    ReplyDelete
  22. it has your style. i can see your fingerprints on the room somehow. very nice work

    ReplyDelete
  23. This space is beyond elegant! We are obsessed!

    www.sadieandstella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice. I especially liked the indoor plant kept near the painting. But you could have shifted the armoire to some other room.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow this transformation is just unreal! so so amazing! and you have such amazing taste! the "after" room is just beautiful! what a gorgeous little haven! thankyou so much for sharing! so beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah! So wonderful for you to partner with your mom on this. I hope she loves!!

    Kristina Gulino
    Something 2 Write About

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin