Monday, October 24, 2011

One of Those Perfect Fall Weekends

This past weekend, a few of us piled into my small car and ventured to the great town of Hobart, Indiana, the Paris of America. (Any Leslie Knope fans out there?) Therein lies County Line Orchard, complete with apple picking, pumpkin patches, two corn mazes, live bluegrass music, fresh donuts, jams, mustard, candy apples, and spices, as far as the eye can see. Sure the corn maze was a bit... lame. Not much of a maze at all, really. Perhaps had we gone a month ago when the stalks were fuller and taller, it would have been a bit more of a challenge. Instead we found ourselves dodging the marshy wet patches of mud rather than trying to find our way out. And yes, the pumpkin patch kind of looked like someone just dumped a bunch of pumpkins on the field... which is probably exactly what happened. But it was charming, beautiful, and we all left agreeing it was a fun time! The live bluegrass band that played while we had lunch was probably my favorite part. I'd encourage anyone in the Chicago area to take the trip one of these weekends before it's too cold. It's only an hour outside the city, and pumpkins are a fraction of the price they are at your local market. My 23-pounder was only $8! I kinda sorta found the biggest one I could... it was awesome.

14 comments:

  1. so fun! 23 lbs is a big one :) Looks like it was a great day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so fun! I'm dying to go to an orchard/pumpkin patch/fall heaven soon -- just need to find a car in NYC...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks identical to my weekend! Check it out my blog!

    Ps.
    LOVE your shirt :]

    xo.
    alwaysamrsforeverakidd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so much fun!! Love the photos! Especially the one with you and the boy (and your giant small animal sized pumpkins). That's a framer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the perfect fall weekend. I'm looking forward to a similar excursion, only in New England, this weekend. Not sure I'll be able to top your 23 pounder though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing like fun fall activities :)love it!


    xo
    sami
    ps. did you see my dress giveaway?
    http://glimpseofglamour.blogspot.com/2011/10/shabby-apple-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much right with this post I don't know where to start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pumpkin patches are one of my favorite things about the fall. Loved your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah that does sound perfect. My guy has been shooting weddings every fall weekend so we have yet to do the orchard/patch/vineyard thing this season. I'm so craving some cider doughnuts! Glad you had a fun little trip out of the city!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for sharing. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These kinds of weekends are exactly the kinds we don't get in New Orleans! It looks like you had a great time and I love all the colors of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all these posts around this time of year. I have family living in the USA and would love to visit at a time I can share in fall traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love this place!!!!

    My friend and I went last year and were on the tractor with all little kids- ha!

    http://threadtheneedleblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin