Monday, October 3, 2011

words worth reading

I continued to think about the “Future Me” and what I would think of the present me. And Future Me had a bit of advice. He said that we are living in a home, eating applesauce, wearing diapers and all I have are my memories. Don’t screw them up. Spend time with your friends and family, because those are my favorite memories. Stop spending so much time on the little stuff, you can barely remember that anyway. Travel more, you will love Africa. Take a few chances, but not too many that you look like a moron (and you are approaching that level so be careful). Enjoy your successes and indulgences, you will see that guilt is a waste of time. Do things for others without the need for acknowledgment or reciprocation (you will get both in spades anyway). Be happy for others who are more fortunate than you, help those that aren’t, respect both equally. Do things you normally wouldn’t do every so often, those are some fun memories. It is okay to cook and do the dishes, but make sure you say thank you when someone does for you. When you get here (the future) you don’t want to have settled.

We could all benefit from calling our Future Me’s every once in a while. We need that reality check of how most of this won’t matter even a few months from now, much less years. We need to live a little more for the moment. That doesn’t mean go crazy. It doesn’t mean bounce your last check. It doesn’t mean shun stability and responsibility. It doesn’t mean pack up your shit and move to Nepal. It means to do things you will be happy to look back on. That may mean taking the stable job for some, or going with the start-up for others or even leaving it all behind and going to Nepal for a few. Life isn’t black and white. There is no need for you to be stable or reckless…you can be somewhere in-between. You don’t have to married by 28. You don’t need to have kids before you are 35. You don’t need to have your career all set by the time you are 40. Life is different for everyone and very few of us live up to the expectations we set for ourselves or other set for us (and those that do probably feel unfilled in some way). Take life as it comes, change it as you go, and stop worrying about where you are now…just enjoy that you are here and moving forward. It takes some people a few years, others a life time. We all get there.

by Andrew Gates

19 comments:

  1. I love your words worth reading! So inspiring and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Now we all just need to listen to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful!! I love the image of the Future Me! I live in Asia now with my hubby, far from family and from home but its an amazing experience - Future Me would remind me to enjoy every minute!

    xo Allison
    Spicer + Bank
    www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this series. I remember reading this for the first time...Erin's a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to remind myself of these words more often. I feel so pressured to follow a certain chain of events, and this was exactly what I needed to hear this morning. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you how timely this was! I've been falling into a bit of a slump with my routine, but this post helped me to feel more energized and passionate about living each day to the fullest! Thank you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear you posted these words at a perfect time! I feel these are things most of us know, but forget way too easily! Thank you for reminding us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is so well put and in a very approachable tone. This is also very relevant for me, a perfectionist who sets extremely high standards for myself then ends up running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to exceed them, but for what. Thank you for sharing Alaina! This is a great reminder for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodnes, this is something my present self definitely needed to read. i am always so focused on being 'on time' with everything in my life that i lose sight of the bigger picture quite often. it's reassuring to know that life is different & happens at different intervals for everyone - that is something i feel is so easy to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very inspirational words, and much needed on this Monday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a wonderful Monday post!! I have really been trying to live like this!! I have been better the older I get:) Oh the lessons our youth teaches us:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this so much! What a great thing to start the week off thinking about!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, I've been reading your blog for a little while over here in the UK but this is the first time I've commented. These 'words worth reading' are amazing and something I think I really needed to read. That wont make sense but thank you for chosing them today from me and my future me! PS Hope you enjoyed your sequined sparkly weekend. Faye xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alaina, I absolutely love this!! Thanks for posting! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love this---it is beautifully written and great advice. I especially love the part about not having to be married by 28, kids by 35 and career by 40. Life IS different for everyone and thank you for pointing out that it is okay to be different.

    ReplyDelete
  16. perfect and inspiring. lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love this one. Thanks for sharing. I've been writing a lot of similar thoughts on my blog recently. I don't pretend to know all about who I am or where I'm going but it's refreshing to remember to live in each moment and enjoy your life. Because soon you'll be looking back on it and you'll want to only smile.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin